Having Trouble Adapting Discrete Mathematics

In summary, the person is struggling with understanding set theory and other subjects in discrete math. They gave an example question and expressed frustration with not being able to find the answer quickly. They also mention that their tests are paper-based and ask for advice. Another person responds with suggestions to improve and eventually become proficient in math with practice.
Monster92
Ok, so I'm having difficulty adapting to subjects like set theory etc.

For example this question:

L.{A,a} = {A, a, b, ab, ba, aba}

Find L

Now, I know the answer but it was a battle getting there. It took me 30 mins before giving up and turning on my PC. I got annoyed so much that didn't know the answer I started to type the question in notepad ++ and within 3 mins I got the right answer.

I just can't seem to adapt to the notion of 'no order'...what the hell :(

My tests are paper based, any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understadn what you mean with [itex]L.\{a,A\}[/itex]... What is L, what is . ??

Anyway, discrete math will take some time to get used to. The only way to get used to it is by making lots of exercises. You can't expect being a pro in math immediately, it will take many many years.

A thing you should do now is:
1) Asking yourself why it took you so long. Could you have done it faster??
2) Can you use the style of thinking to solve other problems?? (= can you generalize)
3) Solve the same problem (or something similar) tomorrow

Eventually, after a lot of practise, you'll get there!

1. What is Discrete Mathematics?

Discrete Mathematics is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete objects, which are countable and distinct, instead of continuous objects. It is used in computer science, engineering, and other fields to model and analyze discrete structures such as graphs, networks, and logical systems.

2. Why is it important to learn Discrete Mathematics?

Discrete Mathematics is important because it provides the foundational concepts and tools for solving real-world problems in various fields, especially in computer science and engineering. It also helps in developing critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities.

3. What are some common challenges when learning Discrete Mathematics?

Some common challenges when learning Discrete Mathematics include understanding abstract concepts, applying logical reasoning, and developing problem-solving strategies. It also requires a strong foundation in algebra and mathematical notation.

4. How can I improve my understanding of Discrete Mathematics?

You can improve your understanding of Discrete Mathematics by practicing regularly, seeking help from professors or tutors, and actively engaging in class discussions. It is also helpful to approach problems with a systematic and logical approach.

5. What are some real-world applications of Discrete Mathematics?

Discrete Mathematics has many real-world applications, including cryptography, data encryption, network optimization, and computer algorithms. It is also used in finance, biology, and social sciences to model and analyze various systems.