Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Having trouble combing through PDG's site

1. Oct 16, 2014 #1
    Hey Folks,
    I wanted to put together a single spreadsheet of subatomic particles (e-, ν, b, t, π Ξ, Σ, Δ, etc.) and their properties that have been measured (mass, mean lifetime, valence quark content, charge, spin, parity, etc.). I have been looking through the PDG website for some way to extract all the individual data sheets into one but to no avail. It could be comma-separated plain text, or an excel file.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to combine all this information or if it has been done where to look for it?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2014 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Short of data mining pdgLive (they might object to that ...) or doing it by hand I am not aware of any solution.

Why do you need it in a spreadsheet when it is all there? It would be a pretty large spreadsheet ...

4. Oct 17, 2014 #3
    Funny you say data mining! I wanted to put all the information together and see if I can run some clustering algorithms from an analytic package and show how all the particles form groups in some parameter space. I want to it to serve as a proof of concept more than anything.

5. Oct 17, 2014 #4
    This is just an idea and I'm not sure if it might work but Monte Carlo algorithms like JETSET and PYTHIA have access to a list of all the main properties of the known particles (they share that list with the PDG). Maybe if you look at what's hardcoded inside you can find somethig useful.

6. Oct 17, 2014 #5
    Thank you Einj. I'm checking out Pythia now and it looks promising. If it doesn't provide everything I need, it will still be a great starting point.

7. Oct 21, 2014 #6

Hepth

Gold Member

Do you want more info than : http://pdg.lbl.gov/2014/mcdata/mass_width_2014.mcd

Which is found on the page http://pdg.lbl.gov/2014/html/computer_read.html
    under "Tables of particle information"

By no means comprehensive, but maybe it has what you need? It took me a while to find it, though now it seems obvious. A few years ago I had stumbled on it and it was quite useful.

Whats funny is I think the older versions DID have quark content, I vaguely remember. Or maybe I did that myself.

ADDITIONALLY!
    If you have mathematica you can use the Particle Data stuff to get your lists. I know it pulls from the PDG amongst other sources, though I don't know which year.

http://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/ParticleData.html

So Something like
    Code (Text):
    tmp = Table[
        ParticleData[X, INFO], {X,
         ParticleData[All]}, {INFO, {"Symbol", "Mass", "Charge",
          "Lifetime", "QuarkContent", "Width"}}] [SIZE=4]// TableForm
    [/SIZE]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  8. Oct 21, 2014 #7
    Hepth, I don't even know what to say to you. This makes my life so much easier! Thank you so much for the mathematica idea.

You're the best!

9. Oct 21, 2014 #8

Hepth

Gold Member

No problem! i wish i had seen it soonera!

10. Oct 21, 2014 #9
    Here's a copy of the file I put together in case anyone else ever needs something like this.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook