Having trouble understanding word probl Trig.

• Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the conversation is discussing a geometry problem where a rock rises vertically from the valley floor. The angles of elevation at two points are given and the question asks for the height of the rock. The solution involves understanding the relationship between the distances of the points and the angles of elevation. The incorrect solution in red is explained and the correct solution in black is provided.
Miike012

Homework Statement

rock rises straight upward frim the valley floor. From one point the angle of elevation of the top of the rock is 16.7 deg. From a point 168 m closer to the rock the angle of elevation of the top of the rock is 24.1 deg. How high is the rock...

I added an attachment... What I thought was correct I did in red... but the way my solution guide had it is in black... I don't understand how their way works.. can some one please help me understand... thank you...

If I understand this, this will help me understand all the other word problems that are similar... I would appreciate it.. thank you.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• Math.JPG
    Math.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 394
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh yes, the part in red is completely wrong. Imagine you are standing at the vertex of the 16.7° angle of elevation (which I will call point A). When it says "from a point 168 m closer to the rock," you walk to the right (according to your diagram), 168 m closer to the base of the rock (which I will call point C). Now you are at the vertex of the 24.1° angle of elevation (which I will call point B). That is why the distance between A and B (the two vertices) is 168 (in black) and not x (in red). For some reason you're thinking that the distance BC is 168 m less than the distance AB, and that is not correct. The distance BC is 168 m less than the distance AC. And since we don't know the distance BC, we call it x (in black).

Thank you.. I understand now... thanks alot!

1. Why do I struggle with understanding word problems in trigonometry?

Understanding word problems in trigonometry requires a combination of critical thinking skills, knowledge of trigonometric concepts, and strong reading comprehension. It is common for students to struggle with word problems because they often involve multiple steps and require students to apply their trigonometry knowledge in real-world situations.

2. How can I improve my understanding of word problems in trigonometry?

One way to improve understanding of word problems in trigonometry is to practice regularly and actively engage with the material. This could include breaking down the problem into smaller parts, identifying relevant trigonometric concepts, and using diagrams or visual aids to help with visualization. Seeking help from a tutor or teacher can also be beneficial.

3. Why are word problems in trigonometry important?

Word problems in trigonometry are important because they help students apply their knowledge of trigonometric concepts to real-world situations. This can improve critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities, which are valuable in many fields and careers.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving word problems in trigonometry?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving word problems in trigonometry include not carefully reading the problem, not identifying the relevant information, and using incorrect formulas or concepts. It is important to take your time and carefully analyze the problem before attempting to solve it.

5. How can I check if my answer to a word problem in trigonometry is correct?

You can check your answer to a word problem in trigonometry by plugging it back into the original problem and ensuring that it satisfies all the given conditions. You can also use online calculators or ask a teacher or tutor for assistance in verifying your answer.