Hcc8.12 Find the sum of vectors

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter karush
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Sum Vectors
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
karush
Gold Member
MHB
Messages
3,240
Reaction score
5
$\tiny{hcc8.12}$
$\textsf{Find the sum of vectors $(10, \, 45^o)$ and $(7, \, 150^o)$}\\$$\begin{align*}\displaystyle
\textsf{magnitude}
&=\sqrt{(10\cos45^o - 7\cos150^o)^2 + (10\sin45^o - 7\sin150^o)^2} \approx 12.114
\end{align*}$

ok an online vector sum calculator returned 10.619

so wheres my error?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, karushYou have calculated the magnitude of the difference of the two vectors.

If you add the coordinates, I´m sure, you´ll get the online answer.
 
lfdahl said:
Hi, karushYou have calculated the magnitude of the difference of the two vectors.

If you add the coordinates, I´m sure, you´ll get the online answer.
$$10.6191$$ is the online calculated magnitude which I could not derive
 
karush said:
$$10.6191$$ is the online calculated magnitude which I could not derive

Try to calculate the magnitude with the coordinate values:

$(10\cos 45^{\circ}+7\cos 150^{\circ})$ and $(10\sin 45^{\circ}+7\sin 150^{\circ})$
 
lfdahl said:
Try to calculate the magnitude with the coordinate values:

$(10\cos 45^{\circ}+7\cos 150^{\circ})$ and $(10\sin 45^{\circ}+7\sin 150^{\circ})$

that returns $3.71084$ which isn't it
 
$R_x=5\sqrt{2}-\dfrac{7\sqrt{3}}{2}$

$R_y=5\sqrt{2}+\dfrac{7}{2}$

$|R|= \sqrt{R_x^2 + R_y^2} \approx 10.619$
 
strange thought that is what I had☕

mahalo