Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

He guys I uploaded a pic but it doesn't show as my avatar when I

1. Sep 24, 2010 #1

Femme_physics

Gold Member

He guys...I uploaded a pic but it doesn't show as my avatar when I post, only when I click my profile..... um.... as I missing something?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2010 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Re: Avatar

Welcome Dory! Avatars are a perk for our contributing members, Science Advisor and Homework Helper staff, mentors and administrators.

You can become a contributing member here - https://www.physicsforums.com/payments.php [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Sep 24, 2010 #3

Femme_physics

Gold Member

Well...thanks for the welcome.. but you have to pay for an avatar? That's a first...I kinda resent that...but your forum your rules...

5. Sep 24, 2010 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

No, you're not paying for an avatar, you are contributing to keep the forum going.

Some of the *perks* that come along are no advertisements, a larger PM box, a signature, and an Avatar.

You do get to post an avatar in your profile as a non-contributing member.

6. Sep 24, 2010 #5

Of course you can show your avatar in the members photo thread, by uploading it as attachment or to a photo site, like tinypic and then paste the link with img tags like this

2v36ahl.gif

7. Sep 24, 2010 #6

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you can suggest alternative ways to pay the expenses of maintaining this forum, please let us know. Just relying on advertising income alone is not sufficient, so that's why we have an optional pay-for-membership (which includes an avatar among other things). Without that, either the forum would have to shut down or somebody would have to use their own personal money to pay expenses.

8. Sep 25, 2010 #7

Femme_physics

Gold Member

That's fair enough, in fact I've been a member of countless forums that had premium options and never made a peeps about it, it's just the first time I run into "avatar" being classified as a premium perk.... which is why I resent that... I don't know... just seems to me like a basic thing all members should have... but hey..if you think you might lose money who am I to talk? :P Just surprised me as this is a first for me as an old web user...

9. Sep 25, 2010 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

10. Oct 29, 2010 #9

There should be a perk where if you get a friend or even two to contribute, you unlock the aforementioned features.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook