Heat of hydration and solution for LiI when dissolving in water

  • Thread starter Thread starter Apostle
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Heat
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 23K views
Apostle
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Heat of Hydration?

My text asks me to find the (delta H hydration = ? kj/mol ) and
the (delta Hsoln =? kj/mol) when LiI (lithium iodide) is dissolved in water and the solution becomes hotter. Endo/Exo?? And how do I find the kj/mol's. I am a first year student and starting in the middle of the year, so I am a little behind so to speak.
Sorry about any wrong info. This is my first time on this site.:cry:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Heat of hydration is the energy given out when the Li and I bond with water - This will be pretty exothermic ( energy given out = negative )
Heat of solution is the energy needed to break the LiI into separate ions, this takes energy and is endothermic ( energy taken in = positive )

Be careful though - you could also define the heat of solution to be the total energy generated ie heat hydration + heat solution.
I don't know how you work these out from first principles, you would eithe rmeasure it in an experiment or use values from tables (of other people experiments )