Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle

In summary, the Heisenberg uncertainty principle is a principle that states that the act of observation can disturb a system's momentum. This principle is often used to explain the uncertainty principle for position and momentum.
shinokk
When a photon strikes an electron near one of the slits, it bounces (sometimes back at the observer) and registered as a sharp point of light for the observer. In the process, the electrons momentum is disturbed to a degree that is inversely proportional to the wavelength of the light used.

In the next experiment, light of a much longer wavelength is used (in order to strike the electrons with a minimal change in electron momentum). Feynman describes how the photon will bounce to the observer, but will cause a blurry area of light for the observer, rather than a well defined point of light.
Here's how I understand it:
The light of a shorter wavelength disturbs the momentum of the electron, but shows the electron's position.
Why doesn't the light of a longer wavelength disturb the momentum of the electron?

Physics news on Phys.org
A very similar thread was posted a few days ago.

It was, but no one answered it...

shinokk said:
Why doesn't the light of a longer wavelength disturb the momentum of the electron?
It also disturbs, but less. How much it disturbs (how much the electron momentum may change) is inversily proportional to the wavelength of the photon.
So - as you determine the electron position (using shorter wavelengths) more precisely, you simultaneously more disturb its momentum.

shinokk said:
It was, but no one answered it...

Did you posted that?
Anyway I'll try to explain.

Light of longer wavelength means it has lesser energy and lesser momentum than that of light with shorter wavelength.Consequently it'll not disturb electron's momentum to a greater extent.

When we measure the position of an electron by a photon bouncing off it the best we can do is to estimate its position within one photon wavelength,thus employing a longer wavelength will result in a blurry in electron's position.

No, I didn't post it and thank you both for answering. I got the answer I was looking for.

shinokk said:
No, I didn't post it and thank you both for answering. I got the answer I was looking for.

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is not a consequence result of disturbance during observations. I hope you don't walk away with that impression.

DrChinese said:
The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is not a consequence result of disturbance during observations. I hope you don't walk away with that impression.

Could you elaborate on what it means then?

Elwin.Martin said:
Could you elaborate on what it means then?

Let's take spin. Suppose you measure a particle's z-component spin and it is always found to be "up", then you can say you have determined its z-component spin precisely. Also, since the result is always the same, this shows that measurement does not necessarily perturb the system. If you now measure its x-component spin, then immediately measure its z-component spin, you will no longer find the same value for the z-component spin. So the measurement of x-component spin disturbs the z-component spin. That is the Heisenberg uncertainty principle for x-component and z-component spin. (It's essentially the same story if you talk about position and momentum.)

This might be helpful:

Last edited by a moderator:

What is Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle?

The Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics, proposed by German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1927. It states that the more precisely the position of a particle is known, the less precisely its momentum can be known, and vice versa.

What does the uncertainty principle mean?

The uncertainty principle means that there is a fundamental limit to how precisely we can measure certain physical quantities, such as position and momentum, at the same time. This is due to the wave-particle duality of matter, where particles behave like waves and have an inherent uncertainty in their position and momentum.

Why is Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle important?

Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle is important because it revolutionized our understanding of the microscopic world and introduced the concept of probability and uncertainty into physics. It has also led to the development of important technologies, such as electron microscopy and MRI machines.

Can the uncertainty principle be violated?

No, the uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics and cannot be violated. It is not a limitation of our measurement tools, but rather a fundamental property of nature.

How does the uncertainty principle impact our daily lives?

While the uncertainty principle may not have a direct impact on our daily lives, it has greatly influenced our understanding of the universe and has led to the development of technologies that have improved our lives, such as medical imaging and computer memory. It also highlights the limits of our ability to predict and control the behavior of particles at a microscopic level.