Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hello Can someone tell me what sources in the Universe produce

1. Jan 25, 2010 #1
    Hello.. Can someone tell me what sources in the Universe produce anti-matter? Do black-holes, stars? stellar explosions?

I can assume if these things are large in number...there should be a lot of anti-matter floating around in the Universe.

I know a lot of it gets destroyed in the interstellar medium..but because the medium is "thin" there should still be a lot of anti-matter out there floating around. Also, there should be a lot in the vicinity of the Earth as well. And if so...could you not simply harvest or collect it up in a big way to be used as fuel or for other purposes?

Thanks for any and all responses.
    Bye.
    G.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2010 #2

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Antimatter

Observation suggests there is hardly any anti matter left in the universe. We would otherwise see sustained gamma ray bursts from colliding gas clouds and galaxies.

4. Jan 26, 2010 #3

The reason why there is hardly any antimatter left is because matter severely outnumbers its counterpart. Therefore, antimatter is usually annihalated.

I do not what sources produce antimatter naturally, but I do know that matter-antimatter reactions are responsible for the "evaporation" of black holes.

On the CERN website, http://public.web.cern.ch/Public/en/Spotlight/SpotlightAandD-en.html [Broken], it read that that antimatter first needs to be produced to produce the energy required in matter-antimatter reactions. However, the energy required to produce antimatter far outweighs the amount of energy produced during a reaction. Therefore, matter-antimatter reactions are not a feasible source of energy at this time.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Jan 26, 2010 #4

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Some radionuclides decay by the emission of a positron, which is the antimatter equivalent of the electron. Of course, these positrons don't last long, as they soon meet up with electrons and undergo mutual annihilation.

6. Jan 26, 2010 #5

I don't think there are any known macroscopic sources of antimatter like you are thinking of. As in, there are no active galactic nuclei which shoot a jet of antimatter out one side and non-antimatter out the other or anything crazy like that.

7. Jan 26, 2010 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Wiki has some comments on possible sources of minute quantities of antimatter:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimatter#Origin_and_asymmetry

8. Jan 26, 2010 #7

Very interesting I stand corrected.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook