Hello everyone, I am new here

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fiery Graviton
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
17 replies · 341 views
Fiery Graviton
Messages
5
Reaction score
7
How did you find PF?
I don't remember how but i found this forum during my Discrete Math class
I am just a dyslexic Nuclear and Particle physics student studying in CTU, I want to work deeply into relativity and QG hopefully in the end. I am currently interested in Operating systems(unix-like ones), nuclear physics, anything regarding gravity and philosophy as science without philosophy has no worth in my opinion. Feel free to ask any questions and i will try to answer them(both about myself or any topic).
 
Physics news on Phys.org
berkeman said:
Welcome to PF. :smile:
Thank you
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
Fiery Graviton said:
How did you find PF?: I don't remember how but i found this forum during my Discrete Math class

I am just a dyslexic Nuclear and Particle physics student studying in CTU, I want to work deeply into relativity and QG hopefully in the end. I am currently interested in Operating systems(unix-like ones), nuclear physics, anything regarding gravity and philosophy as science without philosophy has no worth in my opinion. Feel free to ask any questions and i will try to answer them(both about myself or any topic).
Modern physics has freed itself from the shackles of religion and philosophy! What was the philosophy behind the COVID vaccine? Was that worthless science?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: martinbn
PeroK said:
Modern physics has freed itself from the shackles of religion and philosophy! What was the philosophy behind the COVID vaccine? Was that worthless science?
You could be a little more welcoming. Maybe he's talking about Thomas Kuhn.
 
PeroK said:
Modern physics has freed itself from the shackles of religion and philosophy! What was the philosophy behind the COVID vaccine? Was that worthless science?
Philosophy is a way of thinking that helps with sciences, if you do not know how to ask questions, you can't disprove a theorem which is what science is about.
 
martinbn said:
Not important, but the name of the famous physicist is Feynman.
Without being able to ask questions and wonder, how can you do science?
 
Fiery Graviton said:
Philosophy is a way of thinking that helps with sciences,
Where did philosophy help with the development of the COVID vaccine (or any vaccine)?
Fiery Graviton said:
if you do not know how to ask questions, you can't disprove a theorem which is what science is about.
You do an experiment to disprove something in science. This is a fundamental difference between science and philosophy. "If it doesn't match experiment, it's wrong. It doesn't matter what your name is or how clever you are, it's wrong." Richard Feynman

Mathematics, these days, is essentially free of philosophy. Religious and philosophical prejudices held it back for centuries. E.g. the non-acceptance of complex numbers.
 
Fiery Graviton said:
Without being able to ask questions and wonder, how can you do science?
How is that related to the spelling of his name!

Speaking of Feynman, here is a quote by him

“Philosophy of science is about as useful to scientists as ornithology is to birds."
 
1790763430892.webp
 
PeroK said:
Where did philosophy help with the development of the COVID vaccine (or any vaccine)?
It is regarding helping humanity, yes it was done for the biological reasons to continue the human race however there is still the idea of helping humanity.


PeroK said:
"If it doesn't match experiment, it's wrong. It doesn't matter what your name is or how clever you are, it's wrong." Richard Feynman
Of course regarding the scientific method this is right however you have to reach to the point of making the hypothesis. There the questioning and philosophy is more helpful for you to realise different perspectives regarding the experiment. Secondly I don't know why religion keeps coming onto this talk. I haven't said anything about religion.
 
PeroK said:
I came here to have a genuine discussion with other scientists and aspiring scientists, not to be greeted with hostility and unwelcoming way. If this is really how this forum is I don't thing i want to be part of such a hostile place. I was genuinely happy to find a place like this but I guess I was wrong
 
PeroK said:
Once I was in a little grocery store in California. The cashiers were two young women who were working away with pencil and paper. "I can't remember how to do this," spake the taller one. "I wish there were a mathematician here." I puffed out my chest, stepped forward, and declaimed "I'm a mathematician." I solved the equation of $21.95 = 109% * x. Insofar as I know everyone lived happily ever after.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: PeroK
Fiery Graviton said:
I came here to have a genuine discussion with other scientists and aspiring scientists, not to be greeted with hostility and unwelcoming way. If this is really how this forum is I don't thing i want to be part of such a hostile place. I was genuinely happy to find a place like this but I guess I was wrong
You shouldn't get upset so easily especially since you wrote "... as science without philosophy has no worth in my opinion." Don't you think that this is a bit hostile and offensive to write in an introduction.
 
  • Agree
Likes   Reactions: PeroK
martinbn said:
You shouldn't get upset so easily especially since you wrote "... as science without philosophy has no worth in my opinion." Don't you think that this is a bit hostile and offensive to write in an introduction.
I have dyslexia and i am trying to improve my English as it's not my native language, I did not mean to offend anyone, i was trying to write a different quote but i realised it would be political so i tried to change it.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: martinbn and PeroK
Fiery Graviton said:
I have dyslexia and i am trying to improve my English as it's not my native language, I did not mean to offend anyone, i was trying to write a different quote but i realised it would be political so i tried to change it.
It is ok, I don't think anyone was offended. I also have dyslexia and English is not my native language.
 
Since the New Member Introduction forum is meant for short introduction threads, I think it's time to tie this one off.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: PeroK