Hello everyone, I have a question to ask about becoming a physicist

In summary, according to the person speaking, it is not too late to become a physicist, but you will need to study algebra, trigonometry, pre-calculus, calculus, and more.
K.A.Linh
I am currently a grade 10th student stuying in Germany. I was never interested in science subjects such as Math, Physics or Chemistry, until I heard about Einstein's theories and the book " A brief history of time" by Stephen Hawking. Now I have a totally different view about those subjects I used to hate in school, I feel like I have entered the mathematical world, I see things in a way that I have never recognized them before. I have now a dream to become a physicist, but I am already in grade 10th, and I didn't focus on those subjects as I was younger. Does anybody have the same situation as me? And is it too late for me to start all over again?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it's not too late. The first time I saw physics was my first year of undergraduate university.

Nope, I did not studying physics and math until I was 19, now I'm going to be doing a PhD in plasma physics. Just realize that Stephen Hawking's books are "popular science" which is meant to be more of an outreach to the general public. They are NOT real science or physics, but more of a summary of major results in a way that the general population can understand.

If you want to go into math and physics you need to study algebra, trigonometry, pre-calculus, calculus, etc. And take physics for your science courses.

I'm 30 and only recently started my path to a bachelors degree, so I'd say no, it's not too late. ;)

I know people who have taken foundation years or gone back to school halfway through another degree (so in their early twenties, at the very least) and are doing really well in physics. OP, if I got the German grade system right, you're what? 15 or 16? It's definitely not too late for you to become a physicist!

(I actually chose later than you did...I made my decision the summer before I was due to apply to university)

What is a physicist?

A physicist is a scientist who studies the laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy in the universe. They use mathematical equations, experiments, and observations to understand how the physical world works.

What education is required to become a physicist?

Typically, a physicist will need at least a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field. However, many research positions and higher-level jobs may require a master's or doctoral degree. It is also important for physicists to continue learning and staying up-to-date in their field through ongoing education and research opportunities.

What skills are necessary for a career in physics?

Some key skills for success in physics include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, mathematical proficiency, critical thinking, and attention to detail. Additionally, good communication skills and the ability to work well in a team are important for collaborating with other scientists on research projects.

What career opportunities are available for physicists?

There are a variety of career paths available for physicists, including research and development positions in industries such as aerospace, energy, and technology. They may also work in academia, teaching and conducting research at universities and colleges. Some physicists also pursue careers in government agencies, national laboratories, and science policy.

What are some current areas of research in physics?

Some current areas of research in physics include quantum mechanics, astrophysics, particle physics, and condensed matter physics. Other emerging fields include biophysics, nanotechnology, and renewable energy research. With new technologies and advancements constantly being made, there are always new and exciting areas of research to explore in the field of physics.