HELP A problem on quantitative aspects of electrolysis

In summary, an amount of electric charge brings about the deposition of 3.34 g Cu at a cathode during the electrolysis of a solution containing Cu2+(aq). If the same amount of electric charge is used in the reduction of H+(aq) at a cathode then the volume of H2(g) produced would be 48.94 L.
Kudo Shinichi
HELP!A problem on quantitative aspects of electrolysis

Homework Statement

A quantity of electric charge brings about the deposition of 3.34 g Cu at a cathode during the electrolysis of a solution containing Cu2+(aq).
What volume of H2(g) measured at 27.8oC and 767 mmHg, would be produced by this same quantity of electric charge in the reduction of H+(aq) at a cathode?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know the formula for solving the volume in the electrolysis.
The way I approached this problem is by using the ideal gas law(but I don't think it is the right way):
PV=nRT
2H++2e--->H2(g)
we are trying to solve for V, so
V=?
P=767mmHg
R=62.36367L·mmHg·K−1·mol−1
n=2
T=300.95K
plug the numbers into the equation and I got V=48.94L

Can someone please help me with it? Is it the right way for solving the problem? thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org

Well, you got the part about using the ideal gas law to get the volume.
But how much gas did you create? n is the number of moles of gas.

First, how many moles of copper did you produce?
How many moles of electrons does that correspond to?
How many moles of hydrogen gas do you get per mol of electrons?

alxm said:
Well, you got the part about using the ideal gas law to get the volume.
But how much gas did you create? n is the number of moles of gas.

First, how many moles of copper did you produce?
How many moles of electrons does that correspond to?
How many moles of hydrogen gas do you get per mol of electrons?

there are 0.052 moles of copper
0.103 moles of electrons (2 electrons transferred in copper)

I am not really sure about the moles of hydrogen gas but since there are 2 moles of electrons and 1 moles of hydrogen gas, I think that the moles of hydrogen gas is 1/2 of the moles of electrons which is 0.0515
is it right? and do i just plug the moles of hydrogen gas into the ideal gas equation?

Kudo Shinichi said:
there are 0.052 moles of copper
0.103 moles of electrons (2 electrons transferred in copper)

I am not really sure about the moles of hydrogen gas but since there are 2 moles of electrons and 1 moles of hydrogen gas, I think that the moles of hydrogen gas is 1/2 of the moles of electrons which is 0.0515
is it right? and do i just plug the moles of hydrogen gas into the ideal gas equation?

Right, two electrons are used in both reactions so nCu = nH2.
And you put that into the ideal gas equation to get the volume.

Kudo, read about Faraday's law of electrolysis. It won't give different result, as it is basically identical to what you did, it is just a systematic way of doing this type of questions.

1. What is electrolysis and how does it work?

Electrolysis is a chemical process in which an electric current is passed through a substance, causing a chemical reaction. This process involves the breaking down of a compound into its constituent elements through the use of electricity.

2. What are the quantitative aspects of electrolysis?

The quantitative aspects of electrolysis refer to the measurements and calculations involved in determining the amount of product produced or reactant consumed during the process. This includes factors such as current, time, and the amount of substance present.

3. How do you calculate the amount of product produced during electrolysis?

The amount of product produced during electrolysis can be calculated using Faraday's laws of electrolysis. This involves multiplying the current (in amperes) by the time (in seconds) and dividing by the molar mass of the substance to determine the number of moles of product produced.

4. What is the role of electrodes in electrolysis?

Electrodes are essential in electrolysis as they conduct the electric current and facilitate the chemical reactions. The anode is where oxidation occurs, while the cathode is where reduction occurs. The type of electrode used also influences the products formed during electrolysis.

5. What are some real-world applications of electrolysis?

Electrolysis has several practical applications, including the production of metals such as aluminum and copper, the purification of water, and the production of hydrogen gas for fuel cells. It is also used in various industrial processes, such as electroplating and electrorefining.