1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help! An issue with a cantilever tube instrumented with strain gauges.

1. Nov 2, 2007 #1
    I am working on the development of an instrument which can be simply thought of as a cantilever tube. This tube is instrumented with strain gauges to measure the X/Y strains and two sets of rosettes, each consisting of two strain gauges at 45 degree. Note that the X/Y are 3-wire half bridge and the rosettes (for torque) are full bridge. I have been having several issues with this instrument and I am trying to figure them out one at a time.

First of all, when I apply a small load (around 1 N) I get an output of around 12 N if not more. Would anyone know why the gauges seem to be so sensitive to the loads? I have taken into consideration the gains of the amplifier and filter in the circuit. Would lead wire resistance be the culprit despite it being a 3-wire connection (which apparently negates its effect)? What about soldering? That's my first of many questions! Any help is appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2007 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

The first things I would look at are your zero load null and the gauge factor input into your readout system.

4. Nov 10, 2007 #3
    Sorry I didn't reply back. I had to work on something else for the past couple of weeks. Thanks for that. I'll look into those things whenever I can.

I do, however, have a more urgent task at hand and was hoping you could help me out. I am supposed to write a program using C++ that will take data collected by two separate DAQ cards and save them as either a text or spreadsheet file. Now, I'm still new at C++ and I do not even know where to begin. I have been looking for some literature or tutorials that might guide me online but I have had no luck. Would you know of any sites I could look into for that? Thanks.

5. Nov 11, 2007 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Sorry. I am not a programmer. I haven't done anything outside of Labview when it comes to DAQ. I don't even think I could tell you what the first line of C++ code should say.

6. Nov 12, 2007 #5

stewartcs

Science Advisor

Try the Programming sub-forum...

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=15689

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook