Help applying to college that teaches astronomy

In summary, the conversation is about a new member in the physics forum seeking guidance on how to apply to good international colleges for studying astronomy. The person has a passion for space science and has had several career shifts before deciding on studying astronomy or cosmology. They express frustration with the education system in India and seek advice from experienced members of the forum. They also mention being discouraged by others in pursuing their dreams. Finally, they are directed to a thread discussing admission to Caltech and similar schools.
Prof Sabi
Hello everyone in the physics forum,
I am a new family member here, :woot: and I need your help :). If this is not the place the post needs to be I requests the Mod to shift to proper column.

Okay So I am from the milky way galaxy, to be more specific planet Earth and more specifically Republic of India(and I have lived 15 years as a human being in this universe) currently in eleventh standard having Physics, chemistry, math major. Now I have a great passion about Space science say as astronomy, astrophysics, cosmology, Origin of our universe and also I love rocket flights and space expeditions. But here in India I do not think that there are any good colleges teaching Astronomy.

Can any of you, please guide me on this basis, how can I apply to Caltech or a good international college teaching astronomy, I searched on the internet but those are waaay too mixed up alll to understand. You must be experienced to help me :rolleyes: :atom:

Something about me:

I had many career shifts like mood swings haha, at small age I wished to be an astronaut but that failed as I am just like space time singularity (coz I am too thin :H) Well I am called by a lot of names... in the class :sorry:
Then when I expressed people around me to become an aerospace engg. people said engineers have no value today and they are jobless, I was again scared then I shifted to be a people's servant or Doctor, But I found no real passion in it then again I wished to be an aerospace engineer (when I came to know about Indian institute of technology-maybe amazing institutes :wideeyed:). Only except my mother and father, who always support me whatever I want to be, everyone revolted against my dreams. But now full and final I want to study either Astronomy or Cosmology(well a little more the main problem is in India only rote memorization works and subjects you don't want to study are forcefully taught to you, And i hate that as I love to feel science rather than solving BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG calculations involving Gravitaional constants without calculators). People start here a rat race called IIT-JEE or the exam which opens gate to IIT where there is no no no beauty. Hope you can understand :wink:

Thanks a Lot for your time

Physics news on Phys.org

What is the importance of studying astronomy in college?

Studying astronomy in college can provide a deeper understanding of the universe and our place in it. It can also lead to careers in research, education, and technology.

What types of courses should I take to prepare for a college degree in astronomy?

It is recommended to take courses in mathematics, physics, and computer science to prepare for a college degree in astronomy. These subjects provide a strong foundation for understanding the principles and theories of astronomy.

What resources are available to help with the college application process for astronomy?

There are many resources available, such as online guides and books, to help with the college application process for astronomy. Additionally, speaking with a high school counselor or contacting the admissions office of potential colleges can also provide valuable information.

What are some key factors to consider when choosing a college for studying astronomy?

Some key factors to consider when choosing a college for studying astronomy include the quality of the astronomy program, research opportunities, faculty expertise, and available resources and facilities.

Are there any scholarships or financial aid options specifically for studying astronomy in college?

Yes, there are scholarships and financial aid options available specifically for studying astronomy in college. These can be found through a variety of sources, including the college's financial aid office, astronomy organizations, and online databases.