HELP Detrivative matrix/system of equations

• Thread starter theacerf1
  • Start date
In summary, this question is difficult to solve and you might need to try a few different methods to get it right.
theacerf1
Iv been stuck on this question for hrs now, no idea how to solve it. Can someone please explain, thanks! :)

Let p(x) be a cubic polynomial and p′(x) be its derivative, and suppose that p(1) = 8,
p(−1) = −3, p′(2) = 0 and p′(−2) = 0. Find p(x).

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to the forum! First of all, if this is a homework question, you should post it in the homework section of the forum.

If this isn't a homework question, I'll be happy to post my solution, but I'll wait for your response. You could start by writing p(x) = ax3 + bx2 + cx + d and trying to solve for the unknowns using your restraints.

Hey spamiam, no its not a homework question, iv got my exam nxt week for math and just working through different textbooks solving different problems. The textbook only gives the answer but what I want to know is how they got the answer, basically the working out as i have no idea how to solve this kind of question if it pops up in the exam :(

Yeah, wat u wrote is all i could basically think of too...
p(x) = ax3 + bx2 + cx + d
p'(x) = 3ax^2 + 2bx + c

then subbing p(1) = 8, p(−1) = −3, p′(2) = 0 and p′(−2) = 0 to get 4 equations. Then I am totally stuck. There is more questions just like this so if i can work out exactly how to do this, i can attempt the other ones with different numbers.

Thanks for the help and quick reply :)

Well that's a good start: 4 equations with 4 unknowns. Here's what I got

(1) a + b + c + d = p(1) = 8

(2) -a + b - c + d = p(-1) = -3

(3) 12a + 4b + c = p'(2) = 0

(4) 12a - 4b + c = p'(-2) = 0

You can just use Gaussian elimination, but I think it might be easier to just solve this particular system using a couple tricks. Subtracting (4) from (3), I get 8b = 0, so b=0, simplifying things significantly. Adding (1) and (2) together, I get 2b + 2d = 5, so b + d = 5/2. Since b=0, then d = 5/2. Using (3) with b=0, we have c = -12a. Subtracting (2) from (1), we have 2a + 2c = 11, so a + c = 11/2. Substituting in c = -12a, we get a = -1/2, so c = 6. so [itex] p(x) = -\frac{1}{2}x^3 +6x + \frac{5}{2} [/itex].

Anyway, there are no real fixed rules for solving systems of equations, aside from Gaussian elimination, so you just have to play around with them to eliminate variables.

First, we need to find the coefficients of the cubic polynomial p(x) in the form of ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d. Since p(x) is a cubic polynomial, it can be written as p(x) = ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d.

Next, we use the given information to create a system of equations. We know that p(1) = 8, so we can substitute x = 1 into our equation to get the first equation: a(1)^3 + b(1)^2 + c(1) + d = 8. Simplifying this, we get a + b + c + d = 8.

Similarly, we can substitute x = -1, 2, and -2 into our equation to get three more equations: a(-1)^3 + b(-1)^2 + c(-1) + d = -3, a(2)^3 + b(2)^2 + c(2) + d = 0, and a(-2)^3 + b(-2)^2 + c(-2) + d = 0. Simplifying these equations, we get -a + b - c + d = -3, 8a + 4b + 2c + d = 0, and -8a + 4b - 2c + d = 0.

Now, we have a system of four equations with four unknowns (a, b, c, d). We can use algebraic methods to solve for these unknowns and find the coefficients of p(x). Once we have the coefficients, we can write out the cubic polynomial p(x).

In summary, to solve this problem, we need to create a system of equations using the given information and then solve for the unknown coefficients. This may take some time and effort, but with patience and perseverance, we can find the solution.

What is a derivative matrix?

A derivative matrix is a matrix that represents the partial derivatives of a multivariable function. It is often used in calculus to find the rate of change of a function with respect to each of its variables.

How is a derivative matrix calculated?

A derivative matrix is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each of its variables and arranging them in a matrix form.

What is the purpose of a derivative matrix?

The purpose of a derivative matrix is to simplify the process of finding the rate of change of a multivariable function. It also allows for the analysis of the behavior of a function at a specific point.

What is a system of equations?

A system of equations is a set of two or more equations with multiple variables that are to be solved simultaneously.

How is a system of equations solved using a derivative matrix?

A derivative matrix can be used to solve a system of equations by first finding the derivative matrix of the system and then using it to solve for the variables in the equations.