1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help for forum invader on making an object hover.

1. Mar 16, 2009 #1
    Firstly i would like to apologise for invading your forum with newbie questions... Thanks for your time! I have been researching but as yet have come up with little information. I am currently doing my masters in visual art. The art work I make often involves different levels of interactivity using simple electronics and integrating them with computer software.Though presently i am looking at moving away from the computer to make a series of object based works.

For the project I am proposing, I need advice not only to see if the project is feasible but to see if it is even possible. I am trying to create a stable levitation of a pair of sneakers using magnets or electromagnetic field or air pressure or anything else that may be able to create this effect.
    NB. The shoes can have anything necessary attached to them to achieve this effect.
    The hover height does not have to be huge, just above 3cm.

If you could give me any advice on how to go about this or where to find information, I would be very appreciative.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2009 #2
    I'm just trowing this out there, though it might not work or it just won't make sense. If you have seen one of those triangle fliers, they use a high energy source of electricity that creates an ion wind to sort of fly. If you can create or buy a large one you might be able to put the sneakers on top of it and sort of levitate. Though I highly doubt it because of a lot of reasons. Firstly, i don't think it creates enough lift to carry anything so it might definetly not carry sneakers. Secondly, it's really dangerous and uses a lot of electricity so it might heat up so much it'll catch fire. But i guess you can research more about it but, you won't find much though. you might find some videos on youtube. In the meanwhile you should think of other ideas.

4. Mar 16, 2009 #3
    How about a really fancy looking pile of circuit boards and rare-earth magnets on the floor... and then just suspend the shoes from the ceiling using fishing line. No one will ever know the difference!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook