Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Help! Identifying a unknown aromatic ketone-we're stuck in a rut!

1. May 6, 2010 #1
    Help! Identifying a unknown aromatic ketone--we're stuck in a rut!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    My 12th grade O'chem lab has been given an unknown organic compound. We have tested it and know the following:
    BP-~214 degrees C
    Soluble in H2SO4
    Neutral compound
    Aromatic ketone
    No Nitrogen present
    Physical description: very pale yellow liquid, smells like a very chemical version of Vic's Vapor Rub

We were also given an IR to analyze, which yielded very similar results to 2-decanone (which is what we thought it was until we found out it was aromatic). Now we have run out of ideas. I have sifted through close to 1000 IR specs, and all I know is what it is not. Major IR peaks are 3000-2900, 1700, 1500-1400, 1250.

I'm looking for suggestions as to further tests we can run, possible compounds that fit this description, anything. Thanks!

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2010 #2
    Re: Help! Identifying a unknown aromatic ketone--we're stuck in a rut!

What other types of testing are you equipped for and prepared to perform?

4. May 7, 2010 #3

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor
    2017 Award

Re: Help! Identifying a unknown aromatic ketone--we're stuck in a rut!

What's your evidence that it is aromatic? What's your evidence that it contains a ketone?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook