1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help! Identifying a unknown aromatic ketone-we're stuck in a rut!

1. May 6, 2010 #1
    Help! Identifying a unknown aromatic ketone--we're stuck in a rut!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    My 12th grade O'chem lab has been given an unknown organic compound. We have tested it and know the following:
    BP-~214 degrees C
    Soluble in H2SO4
    Neutral compound
    Aromatic ketone
    No Nitrogen present
    Physical description: very pale yellow liquid, smells like a very chemical version of Vic's Vapor Rub

We were also given an IR to analyze, which yielded very similar results to 2-decanone (which is what we thought it was until we found out it was aromatic). Now we have run out of ideas. I have sifted through close to 1000 IR specs, and all I know is what it is not. Major IR peaks are 3000-2900, 1700, 1500-1400, 1250.

I'm looking for suggestions as to further tests we can run, possible compounds that fit this description, anything. Thanks!

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2010 #2
    Re: Help! Identifying a unknown aromatic ketone--we're stuck in a rut!

What other types of testing are you equipped for and prepared to perform?

4. May 7, 2010 #3

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

Re: Help! Identifying a unknown aromatic ketone--we're stuck in a rut!

What's your evidence that it is aromatic? What's your evidence that it contains a ketone?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook