Help me construcing finite field,

In summary, the conversation is about constructing a finite field with a specific number of elements and finding a primitive root using Mathematica without using a Package for Finite Fields. The conversation also mentions using Z_p and an irreducible polynomial of order n to construct the field. The person also asks for a tutorial on constructing fields and clarifies that p must be a prime number. They also ask about the specific elements and irreducible polynomials needed for constructing the finite field.
Granit_niti
Help me construcing finite field, please!

I need Construct a finite field with q Elements (10^9<q<10^10) and find
a primitive root. That should be done in mathematica but I should not use Package for Finite Fields.

Any idea how to solve this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know about fields?
Do you have any examples of fields?

I don’t think this is pre-calc, but:

Can you think of a number p and n where

10^9 < p^n < 10^10

you should know how to construct a field with p^n elements.

Hint: It involves Z_p and a irreducible polynomial of order n (check your class notes!)

Edit: p must be prime of course

Last edited:
Thank you very much!

Could you refer me to any tutorial for constructing field with p^n elements the?
I am not good with fields at all!

When I construct the field do I have to take all polynomials possible of n degree in Z/Zp or only one irreducible or all irreducible ones?

I don't have clear what is the finite field. What do I have to find in order to construct finite field?

Last edited:

1. What is a finite field?

A finite field is a mathematical structure that consists of a finite set of elements and two operations, addition and multiplication, that satisfy specific properties. It is analogous to the real numbers, but with a finite number of elements.

2. Why is constructing a finite field important?

Constructing finite fields is important because they have many applications in mathematics, computer science, and engineering. They are used in coding theory, cryptography, and error-correcting codes, among other areas.

3. How do you construct a finite field?

There are several methods for constructing a finite field, including using primitive elements, irreducible polynomials, and Galois fields. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the specific application.

4. What are some properties of finite fields?

Finite fields have some unique properties, such as closure under addition and multiplication, commutativity and associativity of addition and multiplication, and the existence of additive and multiplicative inverses for each element. They also have a finite number of elements, hence the name "finite" field.

5. Are all finite fields the same?

No, not all finite fields are the same. Finite fields can have different numbers of elements, known as their order, and different structures. Some finite fields are prime fields, meaning their order is a prime number, while others are extension fields, where their order is a power of a prime number. The specific properties and structures of a finite field depend on how it is constructed.