1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me identify peaks in H NMR please!

1. Oct 8, 2009 #1
    CHM238L - Identifying Peaks of H NMR spectra

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The experiment is "Reducing Benzil using Sodium Borohydride".
    The experiment itself was simple enough and when I finished, I got a melting point of 134-136 C, which is indicative of benzoin (135-137) rather than meso-hydrobenzoin (137-139), however my thin layer chromatography revealed that my sample was nearly identical to meso-hydrobenzoin, and I tend to believe that moreso than the melting point. It's possible my sample wasn't pure.

So, I also ran the NMR of my sample and got a spectra for it, but I am having trouble identifying the peaks. Please help me out here!

Here is the picture of the 1H NMR spectra.
    http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/5873/95924000.jpg" [Broken]

2. Relevant equations
    This is a picture of the reaction and the 5 possible products. I circled Meso-Hydrobenzoin, which is what I believe to have after my TLC test.
    http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/8025/41232169.jpg" [Broken]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I cleaned the NMR tube a few days in advance. I'm not sure if there is any H2O or Acetone showing in the spectra... I tried integrating the big peak at ~7.2 at 10, and I get way too many hydrogens.
    It should have 14 hydrogens only if it is meso-hydrobenzoin.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2009 #2
    Is this too difficult for people?
    I'm much better at identifying the structures in Carbon 13 NMR, honestly.
    I don't like hydrogen NMR.

This is for a lab report for an experiment I did last week that's due tomorrow.
    I've got the rest of the lab report done, just need to verify what I have with my NMR.
    Help please :p

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook