NMR NOESY spectrum - Please help trans-9-(2-phenylethenyl) anthracene

In summary, the conversation is about a user seeking help with interpreting a NMR NOESY spectrum for the compound trans-9-(2-phenylethenyl) anthracene. The user is having trouble distinguishing the peaks in the benzene area and may have incorrectly numbered the carbons. They are also unsure of which peaks correspond to the vinyl groups and what the internal standard is.
vdeity
NMR NOESY spectrum -- Please help! "trans-9-(2-phenylethenyl) anthracene"

Here is the NOESY spectrum:
http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/5708/wittiggosy.jpg

Here is the Proton NMR and the structure of the molecule:
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/1774/wittigprotont.jpg )
trans-9-(2-phenylethenyl) anthracene

I need to label this NOESY and see which hydrogens are interacting with each other.
But with so many peaks all clustered together at the benzene area ... I can't tell them apart!

Also, I may have numbered my carbons wrong.

Please help me out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

FYI
Here is my attempt...
I'm sure it's incorrect :)
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/5633/noesy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Did you obtain this spectrum yourself? Why would you label the two resonances at 1.4ppm and 1.6ppm as your two vinyl groups? Where do vinyl groups usually show up?

What did you use as an internal standard?

1. What is an NMR NOESY spectrum?

An NMR NOESY (Nuclear Overhauser Effect Spectroscopy) spectrum is a type of nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy that is used to study the spatial relationships between atoms in a molecule. It can provide information about the distances and angles between atoms, as well as their interactions with each other.

2. How is a NOESY spectrum obtained?

A NOESY spectrum is obtained by applying a radiofrequency pulse to a sample containing the molecule of interest, which causes its nuclei to resonate at specific frequencies. The resulting signals are then detected and recorded, and the data is processed to create a spectrum.

3. What is the significance of the trans-9-(2-phenylethenyl) anthracene molecule in NMR NOESY spectroscopy?

The trans-9-(2-phenylethenyl) anthracene molecule is commonly used as a reference compound in NMR NOESY spectroscopy. Its structure is well-defined and its NMR signals are easily distinguishable, making it a useful tool for calibrating and interpreting NOESY spectra.

4. What does the NOESY spectrum reveal about the trans-9-(2-phenylethenyl) anthracene molecule?

The NOESY spectrum of trans-9-(2-phenylethenyl) anthracene can provide information about its molecular structure, including the arrangement of its atoms and the environment around them. It can also reveal any interactions between the aromatic rings and the vinyl group in the molecule.

5. How is a NOESY spectrum used in chemical research?

NOESY spectra are commonly used in chemical research to study the structures and interactions of molecules. They can provide valuable information for determining the three-dimensional structures of molecules, as well as for studying molecular dynamics and conformational changes.