Help my noodle- Falling weight and driveshaft problem

In summary, the conversation involves calculating the energy, rotational speed, and optimal fall distance of a weighted cylinder suspended by a drive cable and connected to a driveshaft. The necessary formulas needed for this calculation include work, power, torque, acceleration, and circumference. The resistance to rotational acceleration, known as moment of inertia, also plays a role in the calculation. More information about the application would be needed to determine the significance of moment of inertia.
silverfish
Hi folks,

Am clueless in the area of physical / mechanical engineering, but I need to get an idea of how to calculate the following problem, can someone please guide me to the necessary formulas needed to calculate the following problem

Assume there is a weighted cylinder suspended by a drive cable which is wound around a drive shaft. Known factors are the weight of the cylinder, weight and diameter of driveshaft, total weight of drive cable, total length of cable wrapped around the driveshaft and starting distance between the driveshaft and cylinder. Ignoring aerodynamic / friction / Heat Issues, just broadly calculated and starting from a static point, once the cylinder is released to fall thus turning the shaft

How do I calculate

1) How much energy would the drive shaft produce at a given distance of travel by the cylinder ?

2) What would the rotational speed of the driveshaft be at a given distance
of travel by the cylinder ?

3) Am I correct in assuming (though I know what assumption does) that there is an optimal fall distance whereby the cylinder has reached its maximum potential to deliver power to the driveshaft.

Cheers

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well, work equals force times distance, power equals force times distance times time, torque is force times length of the lever arm, acceleration is force divided by mass, and circumference is pi times diameter.

Resistance to roational acceleration is called moment of inertia, though how big of a deal that is depends a lot on the load of whatever this driveshaft is connected to. Can you provide more info about the application?

Hi there,

First of all, I am not a mechanical engineer, so my response may not be completely accurate. However, here are some general steps you can take to calculate the energy and rotational speed of the drive shaft in this scenario:

1) Calculate the potential energy of the cylinder at the starting distance using the formula PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the cylinder, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the starting distance between the drive shaft and cylinder.

2) As the cylinder falls and turns the drive shaft, it will lose some of its potential energy and gain kinetic energy. The kinetic energy can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the cylinder and v is its velocity.

3) The energy produced by the drive shaft can be calculated using the formula E = Fd, where F is the force exerted by the drive shaft and d is the distance traveled by the cylinder.

4) To calculate the rotational speed of the drive shaft, you will need to know the diameter of the drive shaft and the circumference of the cylinder. You can then use the formula v = ωr, where v is the linear velocity of the cylinder, ω is the angular velocity of the drive shaft, and r is the radius of the drive shaft.

5) As for the optimal fall distance, I am not sure if there is a specific formula for that. It may depend on the specific design and materials used in the setup. However, as a general rule, the cylinder will continue to lose potential energy and gain kinetic energy until it reaches the ground or the drive shaft stops turning due to friction or other factors.

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. It's always best to consult with a mechanical engineer or someone with expertise in this area for more accurate calculations and solutions. Good luck!

What is the cause of "Help my noodle- Falling weight and driveshaft problem"?

The most likely cause of this problem is a failure in the driveshaft, which is responsible for transferring power from the engine to the wheels. This can be due to wear and tear, poor maintenance, or a manufacturing defect.

How can I prevent the "Help my noodle- Falling weight and driveshaft problem" from happening?

To prevent this problem, it is important to regularly inspect and maintain your vehicle's driveshaft. This includes checking for any signs of wear or damage, ensuring proper lubrication, and addressing any unusual noises or vibrations while driving.

What are the warning signs of a failing driveshaft?

Some warning signs of a failing driveshaft include vibrations or shuddering while driving, clunking noises when shifting gears, difficulty turning or accelerating, and a visible wobble in the driveshaft. If you notice any of these signs, it is important to have your vehicle inspected by a professional mechanic.

Can I continue driving with a faulty driveshaft?

No, it is not safe to continue driving with a faulty driveshaft. If the driveshaft fails completely, it can cause serious damage to your vehicle and potentially lead to a dangerous accident. It is important to address the problem as soon as possible.

How is the "Help my noodle- Falling weight and driveshaft problem" diagnosed and repaired?

To diagnose this problem, a mechanic will typically perform a visual inspection of the driveshaft and check for any signs of damage or wear. They may also use specialized equipment to determine if the driveshaft is balanced and rotating properly. If a problem is identified, the driveshaft will need to be repaired or replaced. This typically involves removing the driveshaft, replacing any damaged components, and reinstalling it back into the vehicle.