1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help needed with the effect of no time / time freeze on bullet movement

1. Jun 10, 2009 #1
    Help needed with the effect of "no time"/"time freeze" on bullet movement

1.There is a special question in our assignment:Assuming a person is able to freeze time, will he be able to shoot a bullet from a gun?

2. There are no real equations I know except for the standard distance = speed X time and newton's three laws

3.I don't know how to apply the equations to get the answer they are looking for.I decided to use logic instead. Since there is no time, no distance can be covered? I am very bad at physice I know. Please help me!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Re: Help needed with the effect of "no time"/"time freeze" on bullet movement

Welcome to PF.

In Timefreezelandia I would be curious about what verbs mean.

4. Jun 10, 2009 #3

Er I think time freeze refers to stoppage of time.

5. Jun 10, 2009 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

And when there is no time elapsed do you have an explanation for what the verb "shoot" means?

6. Jun 10, 2009 #5

yeah by shoot I mean make the bullet come out of the gun and hit it..

7. Jun 10, 2009 #6

diazona

Homework Helper

That's a reasonable argument - if time is frozen, nothing can happen. (Sometimes simple logic is enough! You don't always need an equation.)

8. Jun 10, 2009 #7

So the bullet won't come out of the gun and shoot the target even if the single person who CAN move pulls the trigger of the gun?

9. Jun 10, 2009 #8

You could, in addition to a half dozen other good arguments, look at the chemical reaction of the gunpowder as it burns and ask what role time plays in that.

10. Jun 10, 2009 #9

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

When you strip away the concept of time from a word (verb) that conveys action, what action can there be absent the arrow of time?

Shoot would seem to have no meaning.

Homework there is endless.

11. Jun 10, 2009 #10

sorry i should have said "shoot with the gun" or "pull the trigger"

12. Jun 10, 2009 #11

reaction rates! yup... good point! :)

13. Jun 10, 2009 #12

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Like I said any action word "shoot" "pull" "travel" "react" "explode" ... they all involve the arrow of time, else there is no action.
    Just a picture.

14. Jun 10, 2009 #13

yeah thats true.. i should have thought of it.. this forums great!

thanks guys! XD

15. Oct 18, 2010 #14

In the absence of time there would be no gun, no bullet, and no one to pull the trigger.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook