HELP,Please What does this Email mean?

In summary, the conversation discusses an email received by the speaker regarding their application for an REU program in theoretical astrophysics and general relativity. The email is positive, stating that the speaker is on the short list of top candidates and that they will be contacted after the spring break for final selections. The speaker is unsure of their status and asks for clarification, to which the other person suggests waiting and possibly contacting a professor for more information. The conversation ends with the speaker mentioning that they applied one week ago, which is a late deadline, and the other person explaining the concept of a short list.
jin8
I applied for a REU program in our department one week ago, and I just received an email today. I think I was in when I read the first sentence, but as it turns out it is not.

Dear XXX,

We are very impressed with your application to join our REU team in
theoretical astrophysics and general relativity, beginning this
summer. Although we are still reviewing applications, we want you to
know that you are on our short list of top candidates whom we are
considering very seriously for a position.

We plan to contact you soon after the Spring break, at which time we
will be making final selections. In the meantime we wanted you to know
that we think you have a very strong application. We look forward to
getting back in touch with you after the break.

All the best,

So what should I do next? find the professors and talk to them?

Physics news on Phys.org
Through all those euphimisms one thing we might guess, which is quite common, is that you are on a waiting list. This means that some people have been offered a position but have not responded, and if enough of them do not accept their offer then you will be offered a position.

I think it's permissible to contact a professor and ask for clarification.

jin8 said:
So what should I do next? find the professors and talk to them?

Hi jin8! :smile:

Keep applying for other programs, and if you get an acceptance that requires you to reply before the end of spring break, then talk to your professors.

I got an email that said essentially the same thing. It said that I was one of a very few candidates selected by a particular REU mentor. I suggest you simply wait, unless you get an offer which has a time limit. What happened in my situation is the mentor ended up conducting phone interviews. That email says you are on a waiting list: you are not exactly accepted, but you aren't outright rejected either. It is a good sign, and you have a decent shot at getting the position.

And you applied one week ago? That is a fairly late deadline.

I don't understand how that letter is confusing. Do you not know what a short list is?

Essentially when you have a large pool of applicants, you narrow down your choice by a set of criteria - for example a GPA over a certain cutoff value, experience with a certain program, etc. Those who meet these criteria are on the "short list." The applications of those on the list are then assessed in more detail - for example, by interview.

The letter doesn't require you to do anything. They just wanted to let you know that you're still in the running.

1. What is the purpose of the email?

The purpose of the email is to seek help or assistance with a particular issue or problem.

2. Who is the sender of the email?

The sender of the email is the person who has sent the message to you.

3. What is the context of the email?

The context of the email refers to the background or circumstances surrounding the issue or problem described in the email.

4. What information should be included in a response?

A response to the email should address the issue or problem described, provide any necessary instructions or guidance, and offer any additional support or resources.

5. How urgent is the request in the email?

The urgency of the request in the email can vary. Some emails may require immediate attention, while others may be more of a general inquiry. It is important to assess the urgency of the request and respond accordingly.