Help resolving this number series

• Thread starter luckyjack
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation discusses a question from the MCATs about a number series and the potential next number in the sequence. One possible answer is 14, as it follows a pattern of interleaving two sequences together. The person thanking the responder for their solution and expressing frustration with the question.
luckyjack
Hi!
I took the MCATs and I can remember one question was about number series stating:
5,3,8,8,11,13, ?

Whats the next number? I never could figure it out! And the doubt is still in my mind!

Anyone knows the answer? thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Although many answers may turn out correct, one likely candidate is 14. It just sounds like something they might do, interleaving two sequences together, namely 5,8,11,14,... and 3,8,13,... Of course, I don't know why they expect people who haven't seen something like this to think of it.

Tedjn said:
Although many answers may turn out correct, one likely candidate is 14. It just sounds like something they might do, interleaving two sequences together, namely 5,8,11,14,... and 3,8,13,... Of course, I don't know why they expect people who haven't seen something like this to think of it.

Wow, never thought of that solution! damn bastards ! thanks for the answer matey!
=)

1. What is a number series?

A number series is a sequence of numbers that follow a certain pattern or rule.

2. Why is it important to resolve a number series?

Resolving a number series can help improve problem-solving skills, critical thinking, and pattern recognition abilities.

3. How do I solve a number series?

To solve a number series, you must first identify the pattern or rule and then use it to predict the next number in the series.

4. What strategies can I use to solve a number series?

Some strategies for solving a number series include looking for patterns in the differences between numbers, using algebraic equations, and trying different mathematical operations.

5. Can number series be used in real life?

Yes, number series can be used in various fields, such as finance, science, and engineering, to predict trends and make predictions based on patterns.