Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Help solving non-linear ODE analytically

1. Sep 8, 2016 #1

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Hi PF!

Anyone have any ideas for a solution to this $$0 = F F''+\left.2F'\right.^2+ xF' + F$$ where primes denote derivatives with respect to ##x##.
    So far I have tried this $$0=\left( F F'\right)'+\left({xF}\right)'+\left.F'\right.^2$$

Which obviously failed. I also thought of this $$0 = F^2 F''+2F\left.F'\right.^2+ xFF' + F^2\\
    = (F'F^2)' + (xF^2)'+xFF'$$
    which also fails. Any ideas? I know an analytic solution exists, but how to derive it?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2016 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

F = -x is a particular solution. Look up how to do the "reduction of order" of a differential equation. (I say look it up, because I'd have to look it up myself before attempting to explain it.)

4. Sep 9, 2016 #3

joshmccraney

Gold Member

That's an idea, which is all I'm asking for. But ##-x## doesn't solve this. Comes close though.

5. Sep 9, 2016 #4

pasmith

Homework Helper

If [itex]F(x) = kx^2[/itex] then every term on the right is a constant times [itex]x[/itex]. You can then choose [itex]k[/itex] so that those constants sum to zero.

6. Sep 9, 2016 #5

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Thanks! I do know the exact solution is ##3(x^{1/3}-x^2)/10## but was wondering how to find this solution apart from guessing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted