Help to rewrite Dirac equation

$$i\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial t} = \frac{1}{2m} (\sigma .P)(\sigma .P)\phi + eφ\phi$$

Rewriting the equation by using B = ∇ × A and e = −|e| (electron charge) leads to a Schr¨odinger like equation:
$$i\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial t} =[ \frac{1}{2m} (-i∇ + |e|A)^2 + \frac{|e|}{2m} σ.B - |e|φ ]\phi$$

How did the B suddenly appear in the second equation? Alll help will be greatly appreciated.
Source: http://physics.sharif.edu/~qmech/puppel.pdf ,Page 21.

Answers and Replies

Dr Transport
Science Advisor
Gold Member
use the identity.....[itex] (\vec{\sigma}\cdot\vec{a})(\vec{\sigma}\cdot\vec{b}) = \vec{a}\cdot\vec{b}+i(\vec{a}\times\vec{b})\cdot\vec{\sigma}[/itex]

Likes TimeRip496 and vanhees71
vanhees71
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Also note that this is not the Dirac but the Pauli equation, which can be derived as the 0th order non-relativistic expansion of the Dirac equation (throwing away the antiparticles in the process).

Likes Demystifier
use the identity.....[itex] (\vec{\sigma}\cdot\vec{a})(\vec{\sigma}\cdot\vec{b}) = \vec{a}\cdot\vec{b}+i(\vec{a}\times\vec{b})\cdot\vec{\sigma}[/itex]
Thanks! One last question is why the author lose the mass in this equation, $$i\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial t} = \frac{1}{2m} (\sigma .P)(\sigma .P)\phi + eφ\phi$$

Shouldnt it be like this $$i\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial t} = \frac{1}{2m} (\sigma .P)(\sigma .P)\phi + m\phi + eφ\phi$$?

vanhees71
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
The mass term is just a constant potential, which you can absorb in an overall phase factor ##\exp(-\mathrm{i} m t)##, which cancels the term on the left- and right-hand side of your equation.

Likes TimeRip496