Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Help to rewrite Dirac equation

1. Dec 29, 2016 #1
    $$i\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial t} = \frac{1}{2m} (\sigma .P)(\sigma .P)\phi + eφ\phi$$

Rewriting the equation by using B = ∇ × A and e = −|e| (electron charge) leads to a Schr¨odinger like equation:
    $$i\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial t} =[ \frac{1}{2m} (-i∇ + |e|A)^2 + \frac{|e|}{2m} σ.B - |e|φ ]\phi$$

How did the B suddenly appear in the second equation? Alll help will be greatly appreciated.
    Source: http://physics.sharif.edu/~qmech/puppel.pdf ,Page 21.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2016 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

use the identity.....[itex] (\vec{\sigma}\cdot\vec{a})(\vec{\sigma}\cdot\vec{b}) = \vec{a}\cdot\vec{b}+i(\vec{a}\times\vec{b})\cdot\vec{\sigma}[/itex]

4. Dec 29, 2016 #3

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Also note that this is not the Dirac but the Pauli equation, which can be derived as the 0th order non-relativistic expansion of the Dirac equation (throwing away the antiparticles in the process).

5. Dec 29, 2016 #4
    Thanks! One last question is why the author lose the mass in this equation, $$i\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial t} = \frac{1}{2m} (\sigma .P)(\sigma .P)\phi + eφ\phi$$

Shouldnt it be like this $$i\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial t} = \frac{1}{2m} (\sigma .P)(\sigma .P)\phi + m\phi + eφ\phi$$?

6. Dec 30, 2016 #5

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

The mass term is just a constant potential, which you can absorb in an overall phase factor ##\exp(-\mathrm{i} m t)##, which cancels the term on the left- and right-hand side of your equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted