Effective Action for Scalar and Fermion Fields

In summary, the conversation discusses using a formula derived in Peskin and Schroeder Section 11.4 to determine the effective potential for a Lagrangian with both scalar and fermion fields. The formula involves integrating over Grassmann-number valued fields for fermions. The technique is similar for both fermions and bosons, but signs must be taken into account for fermions. Another recommended book for using the path-integral formalism is Introduction to Gauge Field Theory by D. Bailin and A. Love.
The black vegetable
TL;DR Summary
Using effective action to derive the one loop contribution of aa scalar field and fermion field
I am reading Peskin and Schroeder Section 11.4. They derive a formula for the effective action p.372 Equation 11.63 using a scalar field interaction,
They use this formula to determine the effective potential. If I want to do the same for a Lagrangian with with a scalar field and fermion field, can I use the same Formula reasoning and technique to get a formula for a scalar field and fermion field?

[tex]
\Gamma \left ( \phi _{cl} \right )=\int d^{4}L_{1}\left [ \phi _{cl} \right ]+\frac{i}{2}\log\text{Det}\left [ \frac{\partial ^{2}L_{1}}{\partial \phi \partial \phi } \right ] - i\: Connected\: Diagrams+\int d^{4}x\delta L\left [ \phi _{cl} \right ].\tag{11.63}
[/tex]

If so do you treat the Dirac Fermion [tex] \bar{\Psi } \Psi [/tex] as two different fields?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use the same formula also for fermionic fields, but you must be aware that these fields must be described as Grassmann-number valued and that the differentiation and integration with respect to Grassmann numbers/fields are modified. This is all necessary to get the anticommutation properties of the corresponding field operators correctly mapped to the functional formalism.

Ok Thanks, very helpful I have some notes on Grassmann variables that I will revisit, but can I start as Peskin and Schroeder did with a new Lagrangian but this time containing a scaler field and a fermionic field expanding both
## \phi \rightarrow \phi _{cl}+\eta ##
##\Psi \rightarrow \Psi _{cl}+\xi##

Then comparing the ##\eta^{2}## to get a value for ##\frac{\delta ^{2}L_{1}}{\delta \phi \delta\phi }##

Or maybe I'm not following it very well

The general technique is the same for fermions and bosons. You have to be only careful with the signs for the fermionic case using Grassmann variables. Peskin&Schroeder also treats fermions in the path-integral formalism (Sect. 9.5).

Another very good book using the path-integral formalism from the very beginning is

D. Bailin and A. Love, Introduction to Gauge Field Theory,
Adam Hilger, Bristol and Boston (1986).

Likes The black vegetable
vanhees71 said:
The general technique is the same for fermions and bosons. You have to be only careful with the signs for the fermionic case using Grassmann variables. Peskin&Schroeder also treats fermions in the path-integral formalism (Sect. 9.5).

Another very good book using the path-integral formalism from the very beginning is

D. Bailin and A. Love, Introduction to Gauge Field Theory,
Adam Hilger, Bristol and Boston (1986).
Okay thanks for your help

1. What is the difference between scalar and fermion fields?

Scalar fields are particles that have no spin, while fermion fields have half-integer spin. This means that scalar fields are bosons and fermion fields are fermions.

2. How do scalar and fermion fields interact with each other?

Scalar and fermion fields can interact through the exchange of particles called gauge bosons. Scalar fields can also interact with themselves through self-interactions.

3. What is the significance of effective action in studying scalar and fermion fields?

The effective action is a mathematical tool used to calculate the interactions and behavior of fields in a given system. It takes into account all possible interactions and is essential in understanding the dynamics of scalar and fermion fields.

4. Can effective action be used to study other types of fields?

Yes, effective action can be used to study other types of fields such as vector fields and tensor fields. It is a versatile tool in theoretical physics and is applicable to various fields and systems.

5. How does the effective action approach differ from other methods of studying fields?

The effective action approach takes into account all possible interactions in a system, while other methods may only consider specific interactions. It also allows for the calculation of quantum corrections, making it a powerful tool in studying complex systems.