1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help translating grad school application form gobbledegook

1. Nov 7, 2012 #1
    I need to write a statement of objectives for a grad school application. Here are the instructions online:

So where to start:

Does this mean: write a sensibly structured statement in coherent English?

What is that even supposed to mean?

I'm applying to a very broad program designed to introduce many topics before beginning the 'problem solving' (i.e. research) so I can only be very vague about what I want to address at the moment.

Does this mean: talk about undergraduate work and research experience?

I am surprised that these instructions are so vague. I was expecting something along the lines of: tell us about your undergrad, research experience, why you want to be here, what makes you a good candidate, what you want to do achieve in the long term.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2012 #2
    Not going to lie.. I had to re-read this sentence a few times before it made some sense. I believe they are asking you to explain how your graduate studies are going to help you get to where you want to be professionally. What is it that you want to do with your career and how is the degree program going to prepare you for that career?

I basically agree with all other comments/assumptions of yours.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook