Help: want to find an analytical soln to this =p

• Thread starter mkkrnfoo85
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analytical
In summary: Therefore, "In summary, the conversation discusses the equation P(u) = u^n/(1+u+u^2+...+u^n), and how it can be simplified to P(u) = (u^n-u^{n+1})/(1-u^{n+1}). The speaker is interested in finding an analytical solution for u(x) given a number x between 0 and 1 and a constant n. They have tried multiple approaches but have not been able to find a solution. One suggestion is to use the inverse function theorem and the derivative of u(x) to find a solution for u(x)."
mkkrnfoo85
So, here's the motivation to my problem:

I have this following equation:

[tex]P(u) = \frac{u^n}{1+u+u^2+...+u^n}[/tex]

, 'n' being a given constant.

I figured out that I could simplify the power series on the denominator, and get a better solution for P(u):

[tex]P(u) = \frac{u^n-u^{n+1}}{1 - u^{n+1}}[/tex]Now, I am interested in P(u) = x, and 'x' is a number between 0 and 1.
What I have been struggling with is finding an analytical solution for u(x).
To make it more clear, I would like to know what 'u' will equal, for a given 'x' value, and a known 'n'.

I've tried a lot of different approaches, but I just can't seem to come up with an analytical solution for u(x).

One attempt and where I get stuck: [tex]u^n + u^{n+1}(x-1) = x[/tex]Any help would be appreciated. I would like to be enlightened. =p

Thanks,

Mark

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I am inclined to say there is no analytical solution for it, though I have no proof, just instinct.

You can use the inverse function theorem along with http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/DerivativeOfInverseFunction.html to find the derivative of u(x) from what you have (x(u)).

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an analytical solution?

An analytical solution is a mathematical expression or formula that can be used to solve a problem or equation exactly, without the need for approximations or numerical methods.

2. What kind of problem or equation can be solved analytically?

Simple equations, such as linear equations, can be solved analytically. However, more complex problems, such as systems of equations or differential equations, may require numerical methods.

3. How is an analytical solution different from a numerical solution?

An analytical solution provides an exact solution to a problem, while a numerical solution provides an approximate solution through the use of algorithms and calculations.

4. What are the advantages of finding an analytical solution?

Finding an analytical solution can provide a deeper understanding of the problem and its underlying principles. It can also be more efficient in terms of time and resources compared to numerical methods.

5. Are there any limitations to finding an analytical solution?

Yes, analytical solutions are limited to certain types of problems and may not be possible for more complex problems. Additionally, they may require advanced mathematical techniques and may not always be practical or feasible.