Help with Firefox Browser Issues

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Firefox
In summary, the computer crashes and does not respond to anything, and the only way out is to push the power button.
yungman
My firefox browser is not behaving.

1) For a while, it crash like ones a day and I had to push and hold the power button to turn it off and then restart it.

2) Since this morning, I cannot get into my email and said that maybe my server prevent exchange of some cookies.

Things I did before I post here to ask:

a) I gone into Windows and recovered to yesterday, it did not help.
b) I uninstalled the Firefox and went to their site and download/install the new firefox. Still I cannot get into my email.
c) I unplugged both the boxes that connect to the DSL phone line and the wifi, wait for 15 seconds and plug back into reset them. It did not help.
d) I use my other older laptop, It works normally, I can get into the email and all.

So the problem is confined to this computer. What else can I do?

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
yungman said:
1) For a while, it crash like ones a day and I had to push and hold the power button to turn it off and then restart it.
The power button is the computer. Does the whole operating system crash? Are you sure it is browser-related?

Where do you access emails, and why do you use a browser for that?
Does a different browser on the same computer work?
yungman said:
d) I use my other older laptop, It works normally, I can get into the email and all.
Firefox and windows there?

mfb said:
The power button is the computer. Does the whole operating system crash? Are you sure it is browser-related?

Where do you access emails, and why do you use a browser for that?
Does a different browser on the same computer work?Firefox and windows there?
Thanks for replying.

The whole computer is frozen, Ctrl-Alt-Del does not work, the mouse does not work, the computer does not respond to anything, no way to get out of it except pushing the power button.

I have all 3 browser running, the IE always works, so is the Chrome. Problem only with Firefox.

Both computer has Firefox and Windows. The older one that is working has Win10, the one that has problem is Win7. Both laptop are very new, The older one is 4th generation I5, the newer one that has problem is 6th generation I7. So both are very new.

Thanks

I have had EXACTLY the same problem for the last few days. I thought it was because I was running an older 32-bit version of FireFox so I upgraded to the latest 64-bit version and it made no difference at all. There's something about the combination of FireFox and the current version of PF that causes my computer to become a doorstop about once a day. A hard restart is the only solution. I think it also happens with the Wood Barter Forum, which not coincidentally runs exactly the same base server code as PF.

My guess is that the underlying base server software has had an upgrade that causes a very severe conflict with FireFox.

That is interesting. My Firefox crashes once in a while when I open multiple PF tabs together. It doesn't crash the computer and I can directly restart Firefox, but it is something that started happening recently (2-3 weeks?).

yungman said:
The whole computer is frozen, Ctrl-Alt-Del does not work, the mouse does not work, the computer does not respond to anything, no way to get out of it except pushing the power button.
That doesn't have to be the program that is currently running.

mfb said:
That doesn't have to be the program that is currently running.
Well, it's one hell of a coincidence that it only happens when I open PF or WB with FireFox.

I can't use Firefox, it's an absolute nightmare. I have Win 10 and the latest version of Firefox was installed, had to uninstall it.

After the "level 3" Microsoft tech called me about the issues I was having with "Creator", they had me revert to the old version, admitted they had made a serious mistake and would start working on a fix. I have heard nothing since, haven't received any notices to change. The techs had me try all of the browsers and IE and Chrome had the least issues.

LOL, I see that they are now touting a "new" Creator due in September. I hope they worked out the bugs. Ok, who am I kidding? You know they wait for complaints to alert them of the bugs.

Last edited:
Wow, I did not expect this. I always like Firefox. Funny it all started to happen about a month and half ago when I have to keep restarting the computer. Then I cannot get into my email.

Also, it seems to be very slow for a while compare to the other two.

yungman said:
I have all 3 browser running, the IE always works, so is the Chrome. Problem only with Firefox.
Which suggests to me that it's not a hardware problem...

Firefox seems to be working fine for me here... and here.

Firefox Performance.JPG

I use Firefox with Linux Mint and Solus, and have zero problems with any website or multiple tabs. Perhaps the problem is elsewhere. (Dual core Pentium G630 desktop)

Mark44 said:
Which suggests to me that it's not a hardware problem...
Agreed, I suspect it's due to add-ons/plugins, and suggest loading Firefox in safe mode by running the command 'firefox /safe-mode' to verify.
I've noticed major performance issues on Windows 10 version 1703 (Creator edition) with Firefox on my older laptop, but so far I'm just pushing through instead of restoring to the 1607 version.

https://m.theregister.co.uk/2017/04/26/stop_downloading_win10_creators_update/

The problem is this has only happens maybe 4 times in the last week and I am very active on the internet and open both PF and WB tabs frequently throughout the day.

stoomart said:
...running the command 'firefox /safe-mode'...
Isn't this the same ... ?

Firefox tools .JPG

So is there anything I can do, I am crippled! Should I start using the older laptop?

yungman said:
So is there anything I can do, I am crippled! Should I start using the older laptop?
If Chrome and IE work fine, and running Firefox in safe-mode doesn't help, I suggest performing a full uninstall to remove any application or profile corruption, and then do a fresh install.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
stoomart said:
Agreed, I suspect it's due to add-ons/plugins, and suggest loading Firefox in safe mode by running the command 'firefox /safe-mode' to verify.
I've noticed major performance issues on Windows 10 version 1703 (Creator edition) with Firefox on my older laptop, but so far I'm just pushing through instead of restoring to the 1607 version.

https://m.theregister.co.uk/2017/04/26/stop_downloading_win10_creators_update/
Well, they pushed the Creator update to me, I didn't update it on my own and they still had to admit they had made a serious mistake that I discovered. Had to do with them not realizing that a lot of websites had flash AND HTML5. They had configured it so that if Edge saw HTML5, it automatically disabled flash and left you no option to enable flash, leaving many major websites useless. OOOPS! Dummies.

stoomart said:
If Chrome and IE work fine, and running Firefox in safe-mode doesn't help, I suggest performing a full uninstall to remove any application or profile corruption, and then do a fresh install.
I did uninstall and reinstall. But one thing strange is the new one has all the bookmarks and remember everything right from the beginning.

I already saved the bookmark, how can I wipe everything out and start from the beginning, then load back the .json to get back my bookmarks?

Thanks

yungman said:
I did uninstall and reinstall. But one thing strange is the new one has all the bookmarks and remember everything right from the beginning.

I already saved the bookmark, how can I wipe everything out and start from the beginning, then load back the .json to get back my bookmarks?

Thanks
The link in my last post walks you through deleting the user profile directories, which will clear everything out.

stoomart said:
The link in my last post walks you through deleting the user profile directories, which will clear everything out.
Sorry, the one I have problem is Win7.

yungman said:
Sorry, the one I have problem is Win7.
The article applies to all versions of Windows, including Win7; the only difference is how you access the Control Panel, which is through the Start Menu in Win7.

Evo said:
I can't use Firefox, it's an absolute nightmare. I have Win 10 and the latest version of Firefox was installed, had to uninstall it.

After the "level 3" Microsoft tech called me about the issues I was having with "Creator", they had me revert to the old version, admitted they had made a serious mistake and would start working on a fix. I have heard nothing since, haven't received any notices to change. The techs had me try all of the browsers and IE and Chrome had the least issues.

LOL, I see that they are now touting a "new" Creator due in September. I hope they worked out the bugs. Ok, who am I kidding? You know they wait for complaints to alert them of the bugs.
Thanks, EVO,
Since two computers with Windows 10 are available to me, I now have the advice to not install Firefox. I've been using Google Chrome for almost all internet activity. So disappointing, since I still use Firefox on a machine with Windows Vista.

Does anybody have good or bad experiences with Waterfox or PaleMoon on Windows 10 ?

After I reinstalled the new Firefox, it was still failing. BUT, after a day, everything works, everything back to normal! I did not do a thing. This is really strange and funny.

Thanks for all the response.

Likes stoomart
Are the online installer and the offline installer for Firefox for Windows 10 , different in the results of the finished installation that each does? Is there a difference on a 64-bit Windows 10 machine between using 32-bit Firefox and using 64-bit Firefox? Or for installing them?

symbolipoint said:
Are the online installer and the offline installer for Firefox for Windows 10 , different in the results of the finished installation that each does?
No, they both use the same file per SHA1 hash check:

Is there a difference on a 64-bit Windows 10 machine between using 32-bit Firefox and using 64-bit Firefox? Or for installing them?
The Online Stub installer let's you choose which installer to run if you click the 'Options' button during install, and all versions can be downloaded from the site:

Here's some gory details on the differences between 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Firefox:

Likes symbolipoint
yungman said:
I did not do a thing. This is really strange and funny.

Did any automatic updates especially for video drivers occur?

Your problem has a hardware vibe to it. on modern OS's the only times I have ever see that level of crash is a hardware failure. The fact that it only happened with one piece of software indicates that that program was tickling something in a bad way or was tickling a (failed) feature that none of the other programs were.

I would suggest that you make sure anything important is backed up. Hopefully it was just a bad driver.

BoB

stoomart,

The last article you gave seems the most helpful. Since I will want Adblock-Plus AND Web Of Trust plugins or extensions, I would need to choose the 32-bit Firefox (because most plugins or extensions are not available for 64-bit Firefox).

... and I need to check RAM on the intended machine before deciding which form of Firefox, for "bit".

I think the article is a bit outdated regarding plugins since I use Adblock-Plus with Firefox 64-bit.

Likes symbolipoint
yungman said:
What else can I do?
Hi yungman:

I am using Firefox on Windows 7 with no problems. Have you run any virus and/or malware checkers?

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
Hi yungman:

I am using Firefox on Windows 7 with no problems. Have you run any virus and/or malware checkers?

Regards,
Buzz
I have Norton 360. It is constantly checking. Anything else I need to do?

rbelli1 said:
Did any automatic updates especially for video drivers occur?

Your problem has a hardware vibe to it. on modern OS's the only times I have ever see that level of crash is a hardware failure. The fact that it only happened with one piece of software indicates that that program was tickling something in a bad way or was tickling a (failed) feature that none of the other programs were.

I would suggest that you make sure anything important is backed up. Hopefully it was just a bad driver.

BoB
So far, it doesn't not feel like it's hardware, everything is with Firefox and everything is fixed now after I uninstalled and reinstalled the Firefox.

Likes Buzz Bloom
yungman said:
I have Norton 360. It is constantly checking. Anything else I need to do?
Not mean to say that it would make a difference, but you can upgrade your Norton product to Norton Security. Just be aware of some 'improved' adjustments to how Identify Safe works between Norton Security and Firefox.

I am running the latest firefox on a pretty standard HP desktop, with no problems at all.
I think malware is a possible cause of your problem.
The people who do that stuff target popular PC configurations.
Often the malware isn't doing much for a while, it's waiting for commands ( from a hacker), but it does cause weird behaviour whilst doing that.
A typical symptom is a lot of hard disk drive activity when there is no reason why that should be.
I would recommend a deep system scan using the free version of this:
https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Last edited:
Likes yungman
rootone said:
I am running the latest firefox on a pretty standard HP desktop, with no problems at all.
I think malware is a possible cause of your problem.
The people who do that stuff target popular PC configurations.
Often the malware isn't doing much for a while, it's waiting for commands ( from a hacker), but it does cause weird behaviour whilst doing that.
A typical symptom is a lot of hard disk drive activity when there is no reason why that should be.
I would recommend a deep system scan using the free version of this:
https://www.malwarebytes.com/
I did what you suggested, run the free version. Firefox seems to run a lot faster and the fan doesn't come up as much.

Thanks

What are the common issues with Firefox browser?

Some common issues with Firefox browser include slow performance, crashes, freezing, and error messages.

How can I fix slow performance on Firefox?

To fix slow performance on Firefox, you can try clearing your browsing history and cache, disabling unnecessary extensions, and updating to the latest version of Firefox.

Why does Firefox keep crashing?

Firefox may crash due to outdated software, corrupted files, or conflicting extensions. Try updating Firefox and disabling any recently installed extensions to fix the issue.

How do I stop Firefox from freezing?

To prevent Firefox from freezing, you can try disabling hardware acceleration, clearing your browsing data, and updating to the latest version of Firefox.

What should I do if I keep getting error messages on Firefox?

If you are constantly receiving error messages on Firefox, try updating to the latest version, disabling problematic extensions, and running a full virus scan on your computer.