Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with first order, Bernoulli ODE

1. Feb 11, 2008 #1
    Help with first order, "Bernoulli" ODE

We just covered:
    -First order linear ordinary differential equations
    -Bernoulli Equations
    -Simple substitutions.

This problem was assigned. Its supposedly a Bernoulli equation with respect to y, but I can't figure it out...

When I solve for dx/dy, I get dx/dy = x^3 -y/x, which is not a Bernoulli equation because of the factor of 1/x, and not x. Help?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2008 #2
  4. Feb 11, 2008 #3
    I didn't get an answer at all. My problem is that I could not convert it into a form which I can use Bernoulli's substitutions on it. I tried finding an explicit for both y(x) and x(y).
  5. Feb 11, 2008 #4
    I doesn't look like Bernoulli's equation but I wonder if you can use similar techniques. Is there a change of variables you can apply to put it into a form that you know how to solve?
  6. Feb 12, 2008 #5
    A basic u = x^4-y substitution did not yield a linear (or a Bernoulli) differential equation =( I'm stumped. Does anybody mind steering me in the right direction?
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  7. Feb 13, 2008 #6
    Can you try forming the equation for the variable x?
  8. Feb 14, 2008 #7
    The ODE [itex](x^4-y(x))\,y'(x)=x[/itex] is not a Bernoulli equation and furthermore is not a simple one :smile:
    You can transformed it into a Riccati one by the transformation

which makes the ODE

Now letting
    we arrive to

which is the definition of the Airy function.
  9. Feb 14, 2008 #8
    Ya..As it turns out, our teacher gave us the wrong problem.......
    Thanks though! I really appreciate it!

(Its kind of interesting how tiny changes in the terms creates such a huge difference in difficulty)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?