How Do Kirchhoff's Laws Determine Currents in Electrical Circuits?

• Thread starter rock.freak667
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laws
In summary, by applying Kirchoff's laws, the values of I_C, I_B, and I_L were found to be 21.25A, 11.35A, and 9.9A respectively. However, a third equation was introduced, leading to a different solution due to a reversal in the direction of current flow for I_B, resulting in different potential changes across the 0.011 ohm resistor.
rock.freak667
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/9554/cktpz6.jpg

Find the values of [itex]I_C,I_B,I_L[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]\sum V=\sum IR[/itex]
[itex]\sum I=0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

By Kirchoff's first law:
[tex]I_C-I_B-I_L=0[/tex]

by Kirchoff's 2nd law:
[tex]0.1I_C+1.2I_L=14[/tex]

[tex]0.011I_B+1.2I_L=12[/tex]

When I used these to solve for the unknowns I got
[itex]I_C=21.25A \ \ I_B=11.35A \ \ I_L=9.9A[/itex]

Now the solution says to use the first two equations and this one:
[itex]0.1I_C +0.011I_B=2[/itex]

and that gives a different answer to what I had calculated. Did I take the incorrect loops?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your third equation should be -0.011*ib+1.2*il=12. Do you know why?

The only way I see that would work is if I reversed the direction of the current [itex]I_B[/itex] which I think should not really matter because when solved if the direction is wrong the answer will be negative.

rock.freak667 said:
The only way I see that would work is if I reversed the direction of the current [itex]I_B[/itex] which I think should not really matter because when solved if the direction is wrong the answer will be negative.

What (dau)^4 is saying is that the current I_B is passing through the 0.011 ohm resistor in the same direction that you are tracing currents in that loop. So the change in potential across that resistor will be a "drop" of 0.011·I_B in that equation. (The way you have potential changes traced in your other loop is consistent.)

You'll then find that

[tex]0.1I_C+1.2I_L=14[/tex]
and
[tex]-0.011I_B+1.2I_L=12[/tex]

leads to

[itex]0.1I_C +0.011I_B=2[/itex]

Last edited:

1. What are Kirchoff's laws?

Kirchoff's laws are two fundamental principles in circuit analysis that are used to determine the voltage and current in a given electrical circuit. They are the Kirchoff's Current Law (KCL) and the Kirchoff's Voltage Law (KVL).

2. How do Kirchoff's laws work?

Kirchoff's Current Law states that the sum of the currents entering a node in a circuit must equal the sum of the currents leaving that node. This is based on the principle of conservation of charge. Kirchoff's Voltage Law states that the sum of the voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero. This is based on the principle of conservation of energy.

3. When are Kirchoff's laws used?

Kirchoff's laws are used in circuit analysis to solve for unknown voltages and currents in a given circuit. They are especially useful in complex circuits with multiple elements such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors.

4. What are the limitations of Kirchoff's laws?

Kirchoff's laws only apply to linear circuits, meaning the relationship between voltage and current must be proportional. They also assume ideal conditions, such as no resistance in wires and no magnetic fields present. In reality, these conditions may not always be true, leading to some inaccuracies in calculations.

5. Can Kirchoff's laws be applied to AC circuits?

Yes, Kirchoff's laws can be applied to both DC and AC circuits. However, since AC circuits involve varying currents and voltages, the calculations can become more complex. In these cases, Kirchoff's laws are often used in combination with other circuit analysis techniques.