Help with solving system of DE's

• Thread starter gkirkland
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the conversation discusses the steps to find the general solution for a system of differential equations. The first step is to find the homogeneous solution, which involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix A. Then, a particular solution is guessed and differentiated to be substituted back into the original equation. The next step is to find the general solution using the matrix form of the system and the particular solution.
gkirkland
My DE skills are a bit rusty, and I need some help remembering how to handle a system such as:

[itex]\dot{x_1}=x_2[/itex]
[itex]\dot{x_2}=-2x_1-3x_2+sint+e^t[/itex]

I have found the homogeneous solution to be (sorry I don't know how to do matrices here):

[itex]c_1\left\{e^{-t}\right\}+c_2\left\{e^{-2t}\right\}[/itex]
[itex]c_1\left\{-e^{-t}\right\}+c_2\left\{-2e^{-2t}\right\}[/itex]

From what I've found online I should guess a particular solution form:

[itex]x_{p}=Asin(t)+Bcos(t)+Ce^{t}[/itex]

Where A, B, and C are 2x1 matrices of constants [itex]a_1, a_2, b_1, b_2, c_1, c_2[/itex]

Is this correct?
Then rewrite the original in the form:

[itex]\dot{x_{p}}=Ax_{p}+g[/itex]

Then differentiate the guess and substitute back into the above.

Assuming this is all correct, what are the next steps in finding the general solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that your system can be written as the matrix form [itex]\dot{X}=AX+F(t).[/itex] , e.g. X=[x1 x2]t etc
Then the general solution for this equation should be (if I'm not mistaken)
[tex]X(t)=e^{At}C+e^{At}\int_0^t e^{-As}F(s) ds [/tex]

Your particular solution in this case is then
[tex]X_p(t)=e^{At}\int_0^t e^{-As}F(s) ds [/tex]

What is a system of DE's?

A system of DE's, or differential equations, is a set of equations that involve one or more functions and their derivatives. It describes the relationship between the variables and how they change over time.

Why is solving a system of DE's important?

Solving a system of DE's is important because it allows us to model and understand complex systems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and biology. It also helps us make predictions and solve real-world problems.

What are the common methods for solving a system of DE's?

The common methods for solving a system of DE's include separation of variables, substitution, elimination, and using matrices. Each method has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the choice of method depends on the specific problem at hand.

What are the challenges in solving a system of DE's?

The challenges in solving a system of DE's include finding the appropriate method, determining the initial or boundary conditions, and dealing with complex equations or non-linear systems. It also requires a good understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques.

Are there any tools or software available for solving a system of DE's?

Yes, there are many tools and software available for solving a system of DE's, such as Wolfram Alpha, MATLAB, and Maple. These programs use numerical and analytical methods to solve differential equations and provide visualizations of the solutions. However, it is important to have a basic understanding of the concepts behind the solutions and not solely rely on the software.