Solve these two coupled first-order differential equations and sketch the flow

In summary, DaveE was helping another user solve a 2nd order differential equation. The user had substituted x(t) into the equation to obtain a 2nd order differential equation and then used the Ansatz y(t)=e^{\lambda t} to obtain the solution. They then used the solution to obtain x(t). Unfortunately, they were not sure about task b and were wondering if they needed to plot only the real part or the complex part of the solution. They looked for features like where the derivative(s) were zero to find stable points and asymptotes.
Lambda96
Homework Statement
solve the two coupled first-order differential equations ##\textbf{f}(\textbf{x}(t))## and sketch the flow ##\phi_t(\textbf{x})##
Relevant Equations
none
Hi,

unfortunately, I have a problem to solve the following task

Bildschirmfoto 2023-07-04 um 20.08.10.png

The equation looks like this:

$$\left(\begin{array}{c} \frac{d}{dt} x(t) \\ \frac{d}{dt} y(t) \end{array}\right)=\left(\begin{array}{c} -a y(t) \\ x(t) \end{array}\right)$$

Since the following is true ##\frac{d}{dt} y(t)=x(t)## I substituted ##x(t)## into the first equation on the left hand side, obtaining a 2nd order differential equation, i.e. ##y''(t)=-ay(t)## to solve this differential equation I then used the Ansatz ##y(t)=e^{\lambda t}## and obtained the following solution.

$$y(t)=c_1 \ e^{i \sqrt{a}t}-c_2 \ e^{-i \sqrt{a}t}$$

I then obtain x(t) using ##\frac{d}{dt} y(t)=x(t)##

$$y(t)=i \ \sqrt{a} \ c_1 \ e^{i \sqrt{a}t}-i \ \sqrt{a} \ c_2 \ e^{-i \sqrt{a}t}$$

Unfortunately, I am now a bit unsure about task b. For the flow ##\phi_t(\textbf{x})## I would now simply draw the vector ##\textbf{f}(\textbf{x}(t))=\left(\begin{array}{c} -a y(t) \\ x(t) \end{array}\right)## with my solution from task a for ##y(t)## and ##x(t)##.

Unfortunately I have problems to draw the vector, because I don't know what the constants ##c_1## and ##c_2## are and unfortunately my solution from task a is complex, so do I have to plot only the real part or is my solution from task a wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The flow map doesn't assume one particular set of ICs. That would make only one line in the flow map.

Since ##a \in \mathbb R ## your solutions should be real too. This is a physically realizable system. This is a constraint on ##c_1## and ##c_2##. Your ICs will be various values of ##x(0)## and ##y(0)## which will then determine ##c_1## and ##c_2##.

This may help:
http://www.math.sjsu.edu/~simic/Fall05/Math134/flows.pdf

But there's lots of stuff on the web. Steve Strogatz has a nice set of lectures on YouTube in dynamic systems that does flow maps, but it's long.

Look for features like where the derivative(s) are zero to find stable points and asymptotes.

Sorry, it's been a long time since I really did this sort of work, and I'm too lazy to actually solve this system.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes berkeman
Thanks DaveE for your help and the links 👍👍

Likes berkeman and DaveE

1. What are coupled first-order differential equations?

Coupled first-order differential equations are a set of two or more equations that are connected to each other through their derivatives. This means that the value of one equation depends on the value of the other equation, making them "coupled".

2. How do you solve coupled first-order differential equations?

To solve coupled first-order differential equations, you can use various methods such as substitution, elimination, or the method of undetermined coefficients. The specific method used will depend on the specific equations and their characteristics.

3. What is the importance of solving coupled first-order differential equations?

Coupled first-order differential equations are commonly used in mathematical modeling to describe real-world systems and phenomena. By solving these equations, we can gain a better understanding of how these systems behave and make predictions about their future behavior.

4. What is the process for sketching the flow of coupled first-order differential equations?

The process for sketching the flow of coupled first-order differential equations involves plotting the solution curves on a graph. The x-axis represents one equation and the y-axis represents the other equation. The solution curves will show how the values of the two equations change in relation to each other.

5. Can you provide an example of coupled first-order differential equations and their solution?

One example of coupled first-order differential equations is the Lotka-Volterra equations, which model the predator-prey relationship in a population. The equations are dx/dt = ax - bxy and dy/dt = -cy + dxy, where x represents the prey population and y represents the predator population. The solution to these equations shows how the populations of prey and predators change over time.