Help with this difference equation

In summary, a system of equations with DECOUPLED members is not a linear difference equation with constant coefficients. To find the general solution, you must solve the associated homogeneous equation.
eljose
Let be the equation:

[tex] A(2n)-A(2n-1)=3 [/tex]

i,m a bit stuck..i don,t know how to solve it :frown: :frown: it it weren't for the 3 term i would try [tex] A(n)=r^n [/tex] where r is an unknown number..however the 3 factor spoils all..also we could try the identity:

[tex] \sum_{n=1}^{k}A(n)-A(n-1)=3k=A(k)-A(1) [/tex] but it seems not to work..i,m really messed up with this nasty equation..:grumpy: :grumpy:

Physics news on Phys.org
Try
[tex]A(n)=an^{2}+bn+c[/tex]
Determine what a,b,c must be
EDIT:
See latter post.

Last edited:
Is n required to be an integer? If so, I don't think you have enough information. Well, for starters you'd need to know what A(0) is, or at least what A(n) is for some n, otherwise the solution will have a constant at the end.

But if n is required to be an integer, you only know the difference between an even and the odd directly below it. You'd need another equation to find the difference between an odd and the even below it, or between adjacent odds or evens.

"between adjacent odds or evens" Eeh? :confused:

eljose:
Your system of equations is DECOUPLED; in each equation, only two unknowns appear, neither of which appears anywhere else.

What follows from this?

Last edited:
This is a "non-homogeous, linear difference equation with constant coefficients". It can be treated exactly like you would a similar differential equation: find the general solution to the associated homogeneous equation, A(2n)- A(2n-1)= 0, then add anyone solution to the entire equation. The general solution is A(n)= C+ 3n where C is any constant.

No, HallsofIvy!
You have too few equations here, each unknown member of the sequence appears (in pairs) in only one equation.

Thus, the general solution is:
[tex]C_{2n-1}=b_{n}, C_{2n}=3+C_{2n-1}, n=1,2\cdots,[/tex]
where [itex]b_{n}[/itex] is an arbitrary sequence.

So you are saying that my solution, An= C+ 3n is does satisfy the equation but is not the general solution?

If we are given bn= 1, 3, 7 , 5, 9, ... then
A1= 1, A2= 3+ 1= 4, A3= 3, A4= 3+ 3= 6, A5= 7, A6= 3+ 7= 10, ...
Your point, then, is that we don't need to worry about the fact that
A5- A4= 7- 6 is not 3, because the equation
A2n- A2n-1 requires that the first index always be even. Okay, that's clear. Thanks.

It was BoTemp who was the first to point this out; I stepped into the same "trap" of indicating a linear solution as the gen. solution.

1. What is a difference equation?

A difference equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a sequence of values. It is similar to a differential equation, but instead of describing a continuous function, it describes a discrete function where the values are defined at specific points in time or space.

2. How is a difference equation used in science?

A difference equation is used in science to model and predict the behavior of systems that change over time or space. It can be applied in various fields such as physics, biology, economics, and engineering to understand and analyze complex systems.

3. What are the key components of a difference equation?

The key components of a difference equation are the dependent variable, the independent variable, and the difference operator. The dependent variable is the value that is being modeled, the independent variable is the variable that affects the dependent variable, and the difference operator indicates the relationship between the current and previous values of the dependent variable.

4. Can you provide an example of a difference equation?

One example of a difference equation is the logistic map, which models population growth over time. It is given by the equation P(n+1) = rP(n)(1-P(n)), where P(n) is the population at time n and r is the growth rate. This equation shows how the population changes over time based on the current population and growth rate.

5. How can one solve a difference equation?

Solving a difference equation involves finding a sequence of values that satisfies the equation. This can be done analytically, by using algebraic manipulations to solve for the values, or numerically, by using computational methods such as iteration or simulation. In some cases, a solution may not be possible or may be very complex, so approximations or numerical methods may be used.