Help with undergraduate studies.

In summary: If you like abstract concepts, theories and problem-solving, computer science may be a better fit for you than traditional engineering fields such as mechanical or aerospace engineering. It may also be easier for you since you struggled in your AP Physics class but excelled in AP calculus. However, it's ultimately up to you to decide which field you are more interested in and passionate about pursuing as a career. Consider researching and exploring different career paths in both computer science and engineering to make an informed decision. In summary, the individual is currently undecided in their college studies, but leans towards a major in computer science due to their enjoyment and success in math classes. They are considering a switch from traditional engineering fields to computer science due to its logical and math-based nature, but
mahrap
I'll be entering college this fall and at this point I am undeclared in my studies. Throughout high school I took all the heavy math classes and some high science classes. In high school I realized that I enjoy doing math a lot more than science. Not that I don't enjoy science or anything. It's just easier for me to wrap my head around theories and abstract concepts than practical concepts. For example, I struggled so much in my AP Physics class while AP calculus came a lot easier and I enjoyed doing it a lot more. I always thought I wanted to major in mechanical or aerospace engineering but lately I've been thinking about doing computer science. From what I heard computer science is more logical and math based than traditional engineering fields and seems like an interesting field to pursue my studies in? What do you guys think I should do? Any advice is appreciated and I thank you in advance for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Computer science and maths (+ perhaps stats) is a very good fit for a mathematically minded, who also likes to code. Computer science in general is not heavy in mathematics, but logic and some discrete mathematics, but there are various subfields, which make use of advanced mathematics.

In engineering you'd be studying more physics or chemistry and applied/practical stuff depending on the field.

Last edited:

1. What are the benefits of pursuing an undergraduate degree?

An undergraduate degree can provide you with a strong foundation in a specific field of study, as well as valuable critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills. It can also increase your job prospects and earning potential.

2. How do I choose the right undergraduate program?

When choosing an undergraduate program, it's important to consider your interests, strengths, and career goals. Research different programs, talk to current students and alumni, and consider factors such as curriculum, faculty, and resources.

3. Can I receive financial aid for my undergraduate studies?

Yes, many colleges and universities offer financial aid, including scholarships, grants, and loans, to help students cover the cost of their undergraduate studies. You can also research outside scholarships and apply for federal student aid through the FAFSA.

4. What is the typical duration of an undergraduate degree program?

The duration of an undergraduate degree program varies depending on the field of study and the college or university. On average, it takes four years to complete a bachelor's degree, but some programs may take longer or offer accelerated options.

5. What are some ways to make the most out of my undergraduate studies?

To make the most out of your undergraduate studies, it's important to actively engage in your classes, seek out internships or research opportunities, get involved in extracurricular activities, and build relationships with professors and peers. It's also important to take advantage of resources such as career services and academic advisors.