1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with undergraduate studies.

1. Aug 7, 2012 #1
    I'll be entering college this fall and at this point I am undeclared in my studies. Throughout high school I took all the heavy math classes and some high science classes. In high school I realized that I enjoy doing math a lot more than science. Not that I don't enjoy science or anything. It's just easier for me to wrap my head around theories and abstract concepts than practical concepts. For example, I struggled so much in my AP Physics class while AP calculus came a lot easier and I enjoyed doing it a lot more. I always thought I wanted to major in mechanical or aerospace engineering but lately I've been thinking about doing computer science. From what I heard computer science is more logical and math based than traditional engineering fields and seems like an interesting field to pursue my studies in? What do you guys think I should do? Any advice is appreciated and I thank you in advance for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2012 #2
    Computer science and maths (+ perhaps stats) is a very good fit for a mathematically minded, who also likes to code. Computer science in general is not heavy in mathematics, but logic and some discrete mathematics, but there are various subfields, which make use of advanced mathematics.

In engineering you'd be studying more physics or chemistry and applied/practical stuff depending on the field.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook