Here are some astrophotos I've taken lately

  • Thread starter Thread starter scott mcleod jr
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
17 replies · 3K views
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Really nice photos! I like the Milky Way and the aurora! What equipment are you using?
Aurora was an accident lol. I was messing with star trails and i noticed i had about five shots like that.

Canon 5dmii on tripod for the aurora.
And the milky way was with my barndoor tracker with 5dmii 21 x 3 min shots at 6400 iso using 17mm f/4 lens edited in Lightroom and Photoshop stacked in starstax.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Greg Bernhardt
scott mcleod jr said:
Aurora was an accident lol. I was messing with star trails and i noticed i had about five shots like that.

Canon 5dmii on tripod for the aurora.
And the milky way was with my barndoor tracker with 5dmii 21 x 3 min shots at 6400 iso using 17mm f/4 lens edited in Lightroom and Photoshop stacked in starstax.
 
Attachments
  • 20150216_234253.jpg
    20150216_234253.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 527
scott mcleod jr said:
Aurora was an accident lol. I was messing with star trails and i noticed i had about five shots like that.

Canon 5dmii on tripod for the aurora.

And the milky way was with my barndoor tracker with 5dmii 21 x 3 min shots at 6400 iso using 17mm f/4 lens edited in Lightroom and Photoshop stacked in starstax.
 
scott mcleod jr said:
Lets talk astrophotos. Anyone got some amazing shots or good advice

My advice is to not live where it is extremely cold and cloudy for 4 months. Orion has been teasing me all winter...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: scott mcleod jr
Andy Resnick said:
My advice is to not live where it is extremely cold and cloudy for 4 months. Orion has been teasing me all winter...
I moved to the desert of eastern wa from Bellingham on the coast (cloudiest city in the continental us) I feel your pain ☺
 
great collection of pix there, Scott. You are off to a fine start :)
looking forward to seeing more from you as time goes bycheers
Dave
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: scott mcleod jr
Tonight the clouds parted and I bundled up to get some pics of Orion and the nebula- I'll stack them tomorrow, while I'm cleaning all the condensate off of my lenses and sensor. Here's some single-frame images- not the best, but whatevs...

with the 85mm, near full-frame:
DSC03084_zpsbmmrgu2s.jpg


at 400mm, zoomed in about 80%:
DSC03167_filtered_zpsvplqx1xy.jpg


the moon, shining brightly (800mm, 100%)
DSC03191_zps7sj6orh5.jpg


and Jupiter, nearby (also 800mm)
DSC03199_zpsf8iruc1y.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: SmokeyMTNJim and davenn
good stuff, Andy :)

I did a moon shot a few nights ago, the moon is too bright to photo anything else LOL ...
800mm (100-400mm with x2 teleconverter), f11, 2500 ISO, 1/320 sec

2015_02_28_3156-1a.jpg
cheers
Dave
 
Last edited:
simply awesome. I want to try to get m42 but my tracker has been acting crazy lately
 
Last night was a bit warmer, so I could stay out longer- here's two crops of the same object (M42), about 12 minutes total integration time at 800/5.6, ISO 1250:

Composite.tif%20RGB_filtered-1_zpskhkg5ie5.jpg


and at 100%:

Composite.tif%20RGB_filtered-2_zpsbgluw6qs.jpg


M42 reminds me of a Shadow battle crab...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn and Greg Bernhardt
Nice pics - astrophotos are something I want to start doing, particularly time exposures, time lapse & a combo of both. I've got some passable moon shots with my Pentax K10D with a 250mm lens and my NEX-5N with a 200mm - but that's about it.

I purchased a Tempus/Astrus time lapse trigger that will take a predetermined # of long exposure images, but haven't been able to figure out how to best use the manual focus on the NEX-5. I've also got the time lapse app for the A5100 my wife uses, but have yet to try it.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Greg Bernhardt
Thanks Chronos

Looks interesting, haven't seen that one before

Dave