Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Herstein, Topics in Algebra, page 58

1. Mar 15, 2008 #1
    I have the second printing of the first edition of Herstein's 'Topics in Algebra', published 1964.

On page 58 near the middle of the page there is a paragraph that begins:

Let G be a cyclic group ...

The author writes
    [tex]\phi:a^i \rightarrow a^{2i}[/tex]

and later

[tex]x^{-1}a^ix = \phi(a)^i = a^{3i}[/tex]

The next paragraph makes it clear that he means:
    [tex]x^{-1}a^ix = \phi^i(a) = a^{3i}[/tex]

But it doesn't seem true to me. for instance if i = 1, then no matter how I write it, I get:
    [tex]\phi(a) = a^3[/tex]

but by the definition of phi,
    [tex]\phi(a) = a^2[/tex]

What gives?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What is x in [tex]x^{-1}a^ix = \phi(a)^i = a^{3i}[/tex]? Surely it can't be just any member of G because then we would have a= a3.

And what is a? Any member of G or specifically a generator of G?

4. Mar 15, 2008 #3
    Sorry, I didn't put enough information for anyone that doesn't have a copy of the book. G is a cyclic group of order 7, a is an element of G, so that [itex]G = \{e = a^0, a^1, a^2, a^3, a^4, a^5, a^6\}[/itex]. x is a formal symbol. The author intends to describe the group of order 21 made of formal symbols [itex]x^ia^j, i = 0, 1, 2 j = 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6[/itex].

5. Mar 16, 2008 #4

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think it's a typo and should be [itex]a^{2i}[/itex] instead. Unfortunately I don't have my copy of Herstein on me right now to verify this. Maybe you could post a bit more of that page?

His intent is clear though: he's trying to define the semidirect product of G and X={1, x, x^2}, with X viewed as the cyclic group of order 3, where conjugation by x acts as [itex]\phi[/itex] on G.

6. Mar 17, 2008 #5
    Perhaps. However, he gives a specific example of multiplication in the larger group.
    [tex]x^1a^1 \cdot x^1a^2 = x^1(a^1x^1)a^2 = x^1(x^1a^3)a^2 = x^2a^5[/tex]
    That's taking a typo pretty far, but I suppose it's possible he lost track half way through the paragraph.

7. Aug 30, 2008 #6
    It was a typo in the 1st edition.
    The corrected expression is on pg 69 of the 2nd edition:

x^{-1}a^ix = \\phi(a^i) = a^{2i}

8. Aug 30, 2008 #7
    With formatting....
    [tex]
    x^{-1}a^ix = \phi(a^i) = a^{2i}
    [tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?