Seeking Recommendation on Abstract Algebra textbooks

In summary, Phoenix is seeking recommendations for textbooks on abstract algebra and has provided information on their mathematical background and the books they have already purchased or borrowed. They are specifically curious about whether they should purchase Artin's "Algebra" instead of Herstein and Pinter's books, and have read reviews and opinions on the books they have considered. They are also seeking advice on how to approach studying and using textbooks for abstract algebra.
bacte2013
Dear Physics Forum advisers,

My name is Phoenix, a sophomore with major in mathematics and an aspiring applied mathematician in the theoretical computing. I wrote this email to seek your recommendation on the textbooks for abstract algebra. I want to self-study the abstract algebra during this Summer to gain the knowledge of abstract algebra at undergraduate level, fall in love with the abstract algebra, prepare for upcoming undergraduate research in the theoretical computing, and (possibly) prepare for Abstract Algebra I course that I might take on Fall 2015 (the required text is textbook by Dummit/Foote).

Please let me inform you about my mathematical background: I took the computational single-variable calculus course and I am currently taking the computational vector calculus course. I self-studied the proof-writing book (Chartrand), therefore acquired the basics of proof methodology and set theory. I am currently self-studying the theoretical linear algebra (Friedberg/Insel/Spence) and mathematical analysis (Apostol, Pugh) textbooks. I learned the basic topics in linear algebra, such as determinants and matrix, through my Friedberg book and vector calculus books.

I bought I.N. Herstein's two books: "Abstract Algebra" and "Topics in Algebra" and borrowed C.C. Pinter's abstract algebra book because I heard that they are good books for beginner in abstract algebra. However, I often heard good things about M. Artin's "Algebra", and also books by Fraleigh, Gallian, MacLane, and Lang (undergraduate version); I particularly heard that Artin is the best algebra book for an undergraduate, providing both details and excellent insights; I also hard that Artin covers the linear algebra in the abstract level. Therefore, I am curious if I should purchase Artin and study it instead of Herstein and Pinter. I looked at some sample pages (Group chapter) of Artin and I seem to comprehend the presented materials but I am not sure if Artin will be a better book for beginners than Herstein and Pinter. I could use both Artin and Herstein/Pinter but I prefer to firmly stick with only one book to gain everything that author want to present in the book. Please provide me of your advice and experience regarding to abstract algebra books I mentioned and which book I can use for loving the abstract algebra! And please forgive me about this long post.

PK

Physics news on Phys.org
From the reviews I see of Herstein's AA book, I see the following:

"I cannot emphasize this enough: to get the most of this text you should do as many exercises as possible of a difficulty level that challenges you. If you do, you'll have a solid foundation of abstract algebra that will be more than sufficient if you choose to pursue graduate studies in math (or another field) later."

"There are HEAPS of exercises that vary in difficulty. Working these exercises is where the learning/understanding really happens!"

A common theme seems to be that the "Easy" questions are not easy, the "Middle" questions are punishing and the "Hard" ones are super difficult. But doing exercises is necessary because that is how one uses this book. And probably Herstein meant it to be that way because he does mention in the preface that it will be some readers' first exposure to abstract math. And he did write a second book so surely he meant readers of that book to have read this AA one first. So it can't be all that bad, really.

And it was published in 1999 which is not so long ago, and you do have them now, so I think I would forge ahead with those books.

Now for one of the negative complaints:

"Crucial results used to prove pivotal theorems are sometimes poached from exercises from earlier sections, so the book, damningly, is NOT self-contained. It is inexcusable to have the proof of Cauchy's theorem, for example, hinge on asinine parenthetical statements like "see Problem 31 of Section 4" or "See Problem 16 of Section 3, which you should be able to handle more easily now." What the hell is that about?"

So this is a possible worry. But what I have to say to this is, Herstein obviously wants you to have worked that other problem as a lemma, and why should that be a problem? If you think about it, referring to a lemma is what should happen, and having the lemma be a problem is also good if it is an important lemma, so that you get to understand the lemma. If the lemma is simply given, one may simply move on thinking it is easy and then miss the relevance of it when it is used.

Or more importantly, Herstein thinks of Cauchy's theorem as a consequence of that lemma. Do you not want to see it the way he sees it? So for these reasons, I don't rate this complaint very highly. Obviously it is a problem if one can't do the sub-problem. But then one can look it up online and will usually find a proof anyway.

I won't say anything about Artin except that it is newer, but 1999 is not so long ago.

^
Thanks for the reply! I am actually seeking more advice! Bump*3!

I always recommend that, if/when possible, i.e., if/when you have access to a Math Library, that you go to the Algebra ( or other that you're interested in) section, browse through a few books and see which one feels right for you. You can look at the index, then you can try to see whether it has solved problems, etc. A great advantage of the more canonical (i.e., standard, most popular) books is that there are plenty of solved problems from these books. Of course, it is up to you not to become too lazy and use the solved problems to reinforce your work. I am a believer in wisely combining top-down with bottom-up approaches to learning.

Last edited:
^
I actually went to my university's mathematics library and read through D/F, Artin, and Herstein, and I actually enjoy them very much. What I am worried about is that which book will provide both insights and coverage as those two factors can only be understood by people who read them...

I am leaning toward Herstein and Artin as they are really good writers. However, I only want to stick to one.

I also just checked out the "Algebra" and "A Survey of Modern Algebra" by Birkhoff/MacLane, and they look really good! Should i stick with Artin and Herstein though?

I don't really know what to tell you. Why don't you start with either one , see how it feels? Sorry, but the ultimate choice is yours.

1. What is Abstract Algebra?

Abstract Algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures such as groups, rings, fields, modules, and vector spaces. It deals with abstract mathematical objects and their relationships, rather than specific numbers or equations.

2. Why do I need a textbook on Abstract Algebra?

A textbook on Abstract Algebra is essential for anyone studying this subject. It provides a comprehensive and organized overview of the key concepts and theories, along with practice problems and examples to aid understanding.

3. What are the key features to look for in an Abstract Algebra textbook?

When seeking a recommendation for an Abstract Algebra textbook, it is important to look for clear explanations, relevant examples, and a logical progression of topics. Additionally, a good textbook should have exercises and practice problems with solutions, as well as supplementary materials such as online resources or study guides.

4. Are there any recommended textbooks for beginners in Abstract Algebra?

Yes, there are several recommended textbooks for beginners in Abstract Algebra, such as "A Book of Abstract Algebra" by Charles C. Pinter, "Abstract Algebra" by David S. Dummit and Richard M. Foote, and "Algebra: Chapter 0" by Paolo Aluffi. These textbooks are known for their clear explanations and approachable writing style.

5. Can I rely solely on a textbook for learning Abstract Algebra?

No, it is not recommended to rely solely on a textbook for learning Abstract Algebra. It is important to supplement your learning with lectures, discussions with peers or a tutor, and practice problems. Additionally, seeking out other resources such as online videos or study groups can also enhance your understanding of the subject.