Hibbeler Mechanics of Materials

In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling with a problem in their Mechanics of Materials book. They are looking at Example 6.4 which asks for the shear and moment diagrams of a beam. The beam is 10m long and has supports at points A and C. The student is confused about the sum of forces in the y direction and the equation 5.75 kN-V=0. They ask for an explanation and realize they made a mistake with their calculations. The conversation also includes a brief mention of the student's engineering program.
jaredogden
Hey guys I'm looking through my Mechanics of Materials book (Hibbeler 8th ed.) and am quite confused at the section on shear and moment diagrams. I thought I grasped it very well in statics but I guess I was wrong. Anyways I am looking at Example 6.4 and it asks for the shear and moment diagrams of a beam.

The beam is 10m long and on the far left point A is supported by a roller and has a counterclockwise moment of 80 kN*m. moving to the right point B is located in the middle at 5m and there is a force in the negative y direction (assuming down is negative) and here starts a rectangular distributed force of 5 kN/m until point C at the end of the beam (10m from A) point C is a pin support.

The part of this problem that is tripping me up is the first thing they show is the sum of forces in the y direction and the equation is 5.75 kN-V=0. I have no clue where the 5.75 came from, or how they got it... I'm assuming I'm just overlooking something, or need to review some statics. Can anyone explain to me what Hibbeler did to get 5.75 kN?

Thanks for your time and help ahead of time

Engineering news on Phys.org
Start by finding the reactions at the supports.

You didn't give the magnitude of the force at B so we can't do the arithmetic, but I expect you will see where the 5.75 came from when you have the reactions.

I think I tired doing the sum of forces and couldn't get that answer. I talked to someone else in my class and they had the same problem with it too. The force at B is 15 kN

Scratch that I am an idiot.. I wish I could just delete this thread or something haha thanks for the help.

You arguably learn more from being an idiot than from being a genius.

Likes Soumalya
2nd year eng nuig?? ha

What is "Hibbeler Mechanics of Materials"?

"Hibbeler Mechanics of Materials" is a textbook written by Russell C. Hibbeler that covers the fundamental concepts and principles of mechanics of materials, which is a branch of engineering mechanics that deals with the behavior of solid bodies subjected to various types of loading.

Who is the author of "Hibbeler Mechanics of Materials"?

The author of "Hibbeler Mechanics of Materials" is Russell C. Hibbeler, a retired professor of civil engineering at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. He has also written other popular textbooks in the fields of mechanics, structural analysis, and engineering mechanics.

What topics are covered in "Hibbeler Mechanics of Materials"?

"Hibbeler Mechanics of Materials" covers topics such as stress and strain analysis, axial loading, torsion, bending, shear, deflection of beams, and various types of stress and strain transformations. It also includes chapters on advanced topics such as energy methods, stability of columns, and stress concentrations.

Is "Hibbeler Mechanics of Materials" suitable for self-study?

Yes, "Hibbeler Mechanics of Materials" is suitable for self-study as it provides clear explanations of concepts and numerous examples and practice problems for students to work on. It is also widely used as a textbook in many universities and colleges.

Are there any resources available to supplement "Hibbeler Mechanics of Materials"?

Yes, there are resources available to supplement "Hibbeler Mechanics of Materials", including the solutions manual, instructor's solutions manual, and online resources such as interactive quizzes and video solutions for select problems. These resources can be purchased separately or may be included with the textbook depending on the edition.