russ_watters said:
I definitely agree. I do, however, blame [most of] the people who didn't even finish high school.
I don't think I would say most. Why would you?
SixNein said:
I disagree. At one time, a person could cut out a decent middle class life if they were willing to work. They could start out on a factory floor doing some assembly, and eventually, they could move up the company ladder. But there has been a change. In my opinion, we have reached some kind of technological equilibrium. And it should make anyone regardless of education feel uncomfortable. Since there are so many different things that can be automated, I don't think that there are many safe jobs. And even the safe jobs are at high risk of being outsourced.
Yeah, a person could cut their middle-class life ... but it can be hard fro them because of their mentality. To cut a long psychological answer shot - they're too comfortable, don't see hope, perhaps won't even get promoted, have too many things holding them back, .etc!
Automation and outsourcing is killing the labour industry ... and may even kill the Labour Party of the respective countries :P
feathermoon said:
There is a study or two I'm sure showing a person's contribution to the overall economy, with a correlation between education and value. This supplies a governmental impetus to ensure everyone can go to college. But, I bet 50% or greater of these 60%+ percent of jobs that will require some college education won't really. Its just become a way to cut down on applicants, which doesn't help anything in the overall economy, in my opinion.
Everyone went to university, who will do the non-university jobs that are VITAL ...and like I said, not everyone wants and can go to university (whether they like it or not). Let's not discriminate jobs shall we.
I wouldn't exactly say it's cutting down applicants as that can be even more easily done but just not accepting and other similar means :P It can be harder to trust people's word and skill these days.
ThomasT said:
I think that a big part of the problem is that a large portion of America's manufacturing base, that used to employ lots of people with just high school educations (and even a lot of high school dropouts), simply doesn't exist any more. It's been replaced by automation and foreign labor. In the three areas that I've spent most of my life I count about 80 factories, in dozens of industries, employing approximately 120k people that are shut down ... apparently forever.
The US is increasingly becoming a service based, not a manufacturing based, economy. And a significant portion of that is financial services, and technical services, a significant portion of which are outsourced to cheaper foreign labor.
This is very good for the financial sector, and lots of corporations, but bad for America in general, imho. Yet, it's the US government which has promoted and subsidized this trend.
As I said, I'm not optimistic.
I'll repeat what I said in a previous post. America, the US, is facing the prospect of becoming a vast welfare state, or vast abject poverty.
The problem isn't going to just solve itself. Current trends will continue if neither the congress nor the administration is concerned with changing the trends.
What if that's their intention? Politicians are CRAZY people.
You see, people want CHEAPER products and services, fine they will get at but at a cost! Yet people are still complaining. There is a rise in homelessness in not just the US but all over the developed world (or shall I say soon to be reversed for at least the US).
Ryan_m_b said:
The UK has done this as well especially in finance (the
square mile amongst other places in London is one of the biggest financial centres of the world) which is great when the financial sector is doing well and a pain in the neck when it isn't.
As for the problem of "unskilled" labour it is a big one. I can't see the UK (or many other developed countries in the same situation) getting out of it without massive investment in manufacturing and training programs. Problem is I wonder if that would make much of a difference because we still probably wouldn't be competitive with industry out-sourced to less developed countries. If you install the same factories, same training programs etc you can still do it for cheaper in a country where rents are cheap, taxes are low and the average person is desperate enough to work for wage that would be illegal in the UK.
Not everyone wishes to work in an office crunching numbers all day, amongst other tasks.
These developing nations are becoming MIGHTY powers and soon will not be
developing. I'm most certainly not surprised! :D
Zarqon said:
I always find it a bit paradoxical to say that "unemployment" due to factories becoming automated is a bad thing. I mean, no one really wants to stand in a factory all day doing monotonous tasks, so the more these things can be automated the better!
That being said, our current model for how to redistribute the wealth of our society to everyone (also to people who have no more tasks to do) isn't quite there yet, when we can take advantage of it properly. My feeling is that the welfare state concept will (have to) be expanded in the short term future to accommodate for this, until we can find a more positive arrangement of the society.
I do get what you mean, but can you elaborate on what you've said, especially on the second paragraph?
feathermoon said:
Throughout human history, at a certain point like this a segment of the population would move off to colonize new areas or make war. But wouldn't you know it, we've automated and outsourced that too!
Absolutely.