Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

History Channel' Universe Series - What went wrong?

1. Oct 27, 2009 #1
    History Channel' Universe Series -- What went wrong?

I loved watching History Channels Universe Series but as of late it appears to be on the level of a moron. Why they dumb it down to this extreme? I'm insulted and stopped watching it. Can you guys help me complain send them email so they talk about more math and equations and stop simplifying to the point it is incorrect or makes no damn sense!!!

Currently, it's more about pretty colorized b&w telescope pictures and science fiction explanations.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2009 #2

DavidSnider

Gold Member

Re: History Channel' Universe Series -- What went wrong?

This is the same channel that has:

UFO Hunters
    MysteryQuest
    MonsterQuest
    Nostradamus Effect

4. Oct 27, 2009 #3

Oh it is? I didn't know it had degraded so far down. I don't watch much tv and when I do I seek out science programs. Nova is what I usually watch but in my area it's switched to HD format and I don't have HD TV because it's too expensive just to watch a few shows.

5. Oct 27, 2009 #4

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

I don't understand your complaint here.

If you want to learn more about the math and equations behind the science, turn off the TV and open a book. That's not what this program is for.

6. Oct 27, 2009 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Watch Family Guy's "Cosmos for Red-Necks"

Hello, I am Carl Sagan. Scientists have determined that the universe is [... hundreds and hundreds...] of years old and that dinosaur bones have been buried in the ground by [...Jesus...]

7. Oct 27, 2009 #6

Someday when there are 10,000 channels, there might even be one devoted to, not so pop, physics and cosmology (and even *gasp*, mathematics) .........

8. Oct 27, 2009 #7

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

Hahaha! Oh man that is great! I'd never seen/heard that before, but I can imagine it perfectly

9. Oct 27, 2009 #8

DavidSnider

Gold Member

It's great

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  10. Oct 27, 2009 #9

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Awesome.

11. Oct 27, 2009 #10

I don't get it. Could you explain?

12. Oct 28, 2009 #11

Like Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, who said I don't read? Just that I use to enjoy the series ..

13. Oct 28, 2009 #12

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And MapQuest. Don't forget MapQuest.

Seriously,
    History channel is second only to the travel channel for shows made of utter garbage. It's doing more than dumbing-down; it's building this immense scaffolding of wrongness that will mutate the thinking capabilities of its viewers. Where dumbing-down is only "taking away" facts and logic, this crap is "putting in replacements" for facts and logic that cause people to go around being authoritatively stupid.

14. Oct 28, 2009 #13

DaveC426913

Gold Member

The real scary thing is that it is not they who are driving the content; it is the viewing public that's driving the content. TV stations show what people will watch or they die.

15. Oct 28, 2009 #14

They want to cater to the average viewer, and nothing alienates the average viewer faster than math equations.

16. Oct 28, 2009 #15

I despise any show that recaps the entire show up to the point you are watching after every commercial break.

"Lets take 25 minutes worth of info and spread it out over an hour."

Its like punishing the people who took the time to actually watch the entire show.

17. Oct 28, 2009 #16

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I have been toying with the idea of taking a few sample shows and charting exactly how much real footage it contains versus "recap". It used to be that a half hour show was only 22 minutes after commercials but I think it's down to, like, 6 minutes.

18. Oct 28, 2009 #17

How many people here can spend several hours happily watching "How it's made" episodes?

"Oh, thats how shoelaces are made."

"Oh, thats how industrial cable is made."

You feel like such a loser at the end of the marathon. Don't even get me started on Modern Marvels and Extreme Engineering.

I also really like Dirty Jobs, Mike Rowe is probably one of my favorite people on television.

19. Oct 28, 2009 #18

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Well, maybe not several hours but I do enjoy the show. Seen most of the eps.

20. Oct 28, 2009 #19

DavidSnider

Gold Member

MythBusters is the worst offender in this category. Instead of doing recaps, how about once and a while saying how you could have busted the myth on the back of an envelope?

21. Oct 28, 2009 #20

DaveC426913

Gold Member

True but...

how about once and a while saying how you could have busted the myth on the back of an envelope?[/QUOTE]
    Well, the whole point of the show is to see it busted, manifestly. It is the answer to the problem of: "Look, I proved it on paper. Now just trust me."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook