So what to do with knowledge of how the universe works?

In summary: They're not necessarily focused on solving Earth-based problems, but rather researching and exploring the universe because they find it fascinating. Tell him that the universe is constantly expanding and that it's going to keep getting bigger and bigger, and that we might not be around to see it. Explain that by understanding how the universe came to be, we can learn more about ourselves and our place in the world.
blank.black
A friend of mine (an old man in his 70's) watched the History Channel shows on The Universe and the Big Bang Theory and all that and asked me - "so what if the universe started with a big bang? what good does it do me by knowing this fact? why worry about all this stuff in the universe when there is so much on Earth to worry about? why can't all these scientists on TV put their heads together to solve (more immediate) problems here on Earth than worrying about the ones outside Earth?"

I haven't answered him yet...What do I tell him?

Space news on Phys.org
blank.black said:
A friend of mine (an old man in his 70's) watched the History Channel shows on The Universe and the Big Bang Theory and all that and asked me - "so what if the universe started with a big bang? what good does it do me by knowing this fact? why worry about all this stuff in the universe when there is so much on Earth to worry about? why can't all these scientists on TV put their heads together to solve (more immediate) problems here on Earth than worrying about the ones outside Earth?"

There are scientists working on that stuff, these scientists on the TV just aren't AS INTERESTED in Earth as they are in space and the universe etc.. So?

One of the perks of being a scientist and going into academia etc. is that you really are working in a field that you enjoy working in a lot. (Well from people I've talked to at least, I assume there are some that don't like their career choice as much :tongue:)

blank.black said:
...why can't all these scientists on TV...

Tell him that the discovery that forms the backbone of the Big Bang Theory was by Bell Labs scientists working on satellite radio communications.

Tell him that without the space program, he'd have neither velcro or a cell phone nor a PC.

Tell him that GPS requires both the space program and General and Special Relativity.

Ask him if he's ever read or watched a murder mystery and if so, why? It is a deeply seated aspect of human beings to find the answer to unanswered questions, and we always seem to reap benefits of one sort or another along the way.

russ_watters said:
Tell him that the discovery that forms the backbone of the Big Bang Theory was by Bell Labs scientists working on satellite radio communications.
QUOTE]

Now this, I had no idea about.

blank.black said:

Because those scientists want to do what they love.

What is the purpose of studying how the universe works?

Studying how the universe works allows us to gain a deeper understanding of the natural world and our place within it. It also allows us to develop new technologies and make advancements in various fields such as medicine, engineering, and astronomy.

How does knowledge of how the universe works benefit society?

Knowledge of how the universe works can benefit society in many ways. It can lead to the development of new technologies that improve our daily lives, help us understand and mitigate natural disasters, and even inspire new ideas and innovations.

What can we learn from studying how the universe works?

Studying how the universe works can teach us about the laws of nature and how they govern the behavior of matter and energy. It can also give us insights into the origins and evolution of the universe, as well as the potential for life on other planets.

How does studying how the universe works contribute to scientific advancements?

Studying how the universe works allows scientists to test and refine theories, leading to new discoveries and a deeper understanding of the world around us. It also encourages collaboration and the exchange of ideas among scientists, leading to further advancements in various fields of study.

What are some examples of practical applications of knowledge about how the universe works?

Some practical applications of knowledge about how the universe works include satellite technology, GPS navigation, medical imaging techniques, weather forecasting, and renewable energy sources. Additionally, understanding the behavior of celestial objects can help us predict and prevent potential threats from space, such as asteroid impacts.