Hollow shaft outer diameter for 100Nm torque with 1/8 thickness ratio

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
bigbang42
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


the statement:
You are taked to design a 2m long shaft which is to be manufactured either as a solid circular bar or a circular tube. the shaft is required to transmit a torque of 100Nm without exceeding the alloqable strength of material.

Find the required outer diameter of the tube if the thickness of the tube is specified as one-eigth of the outer diameter?

shear stress = 320Mpa


Homework Equations


T/J = [itex]\tau[/itex] /r

J= [pi(D^4 - d^4)] / 32


The Attempt at a Solution



thickness is 1/8
1/8 + 1/8 = 1/4

J= pi( D^4 - 0.75^4 D^4) / 32

work it out in sections
0.75^4 = 81/256 >>> 1 - 81/256 = 175/256 >>> 175/256 x pi = 2.14 >> 2.14 / 32 = 0.067D^4

then using the formula T/J = t/r

1000/0.067D^4 = 320x10^6 / D/2

get D on one side i get

1000 / 2 x 320 x 10^6 = 0.067D^4 / D

worked all that out then cube root it to get 0.028 which i then x1000 to get 28mm


I feel I'm on the right path ( i hope) but the whole 1/8 of the diameter has confused me and I'm wondering whether I've done that right. finding the "J" has to be my main concern i feel I've got the method right for finding D later on. If anyone can help my go through it and check everything is correct or if its wrong, advice on how to correct it would be fantastic.
thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org