Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Holy Poop Heath Ledger Dead At 28

1. Jan 22, 2008 #1
    Holy Poop Heath Ledger Dead At 28!!!

OD on sleeping pills. A shame. The new Batman looks really good.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2008 #2

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have been hearing about this all day and I have absolutely no idea who Heath Ledger was. :confused:
  4. Jan 22, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Me neither.
  5. Jan 22, 2008 #4

Staff: Mentor

Make that three.
  6. Jan 22, 2008 #5
    For those of you who don't know, he was in Brokeback Mountain and here he is as the joker in the new batman

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  7. Jan 22, 2008 #6

I'd heard of him but never seen anything he was in.
  8. Jan 22, 2008 #7
    Didn't he play Mel Gibson's eldest son in the Patriot?
  9. Jan 22, 2008 #8
    Yup. He was also nominated for an Academy Award for his role in Brokeback Mountain. He was just really starting to kick off his career.
  10. Jan 22, 2008 #9

Guess he should have kicked the drugs. What a waste of a life.
  11. Jan 22, 2008 #10

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The new Batman looks awful. They finally got it right in Batman Begins and instantly turned it to poop with the new one. Since Heath Ledger has died perhaps they could remake it with Crispin Glover as the Joker. Get rid of the silly yellow belts and ridiculous motorbikes.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  12. Jan 22, 2008 #11
    Yip should have kicked the drugs before he kicked the bucket. Commiserations to all the Ledger fans here.
  13. Jan 22, 2008 #12
    Shame about Heath Ledger... he seemed like a nice guy. Stupid way to go. And at that age, just starting a family.

Am I the only one that thinks that superhero movies are supposed to be silly?
    That's why my all time favorites are the Spiderman movies, especially the second one; that has to be the greatest superhero movie of all time. It just embodies everything a comic book superhero is! "the power of the sun... in the palm of my hand!" :rofl: awesome stuff! ... and he puts out a 20-foot sun by throwing it into the sea! that thing would've boiled the waters and melted half of manhattan! — beautiful.

That's also why I hated Batman returns and the new James Bond... God, those movies took themselves way too seriously. ... I don't wanna see 007 fall in love! I wanna see him screw around with gorgeous spy women who are out to kill him.
  14. Jan 22, 2008 #13
    That's the thing about James Bond though. He's betrayed by the woman he loves, so he just ends up having flings here and there and being the ultimate bachelor.

As for the spiderman movies, I never really enjoyed them. Too silly. I loved the Punisher though. I don't like wimpy male leads like spiderman.

Shame about Heath Ledger though. I can't imagine slipping into drugs far enough to want to off myself, but I can imagine accidentally taking too much.
  15. Jan 22, 2008 #14
    it was accidental according to family. he had pneumonia.
  16. Jan 22, 2008 #15
    If you were in one of the awkward situation where one of your family members who was a drug addict died, would you admit the drugs killed them or would you blame natural causes?
  17. Jan 22, 2008 #16
    if you were the news media and found a bottle of sleeping pills near the dead body of a celebrity, would you do any actual investigating or would you immediately jump to conclusions?
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  18. Jan 22, 2008 #17
    Honestly, I pay some attention to celebrity stuff (yeah yeah criticize me all you want, but I love movies) and I never heard of Ledger ever being a drug addict. Maybe it was just a terrible accident, we'll see.
  19. Jan 22, 2008 #18
    I heard about it on the radio today. Too bad, he didnt seem like one of those types of actors. He was really young (28).
  20. Jan 22, 2008 #19

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Wow. This is sad. He had his whole career ahead of him. This is why I'm glad I'm not a celebrity. I am really beginning to think that Hollywood drives people to things like this.

I agree that Batman Begins was a great film and will be hard to live up to, but at least wait until the new Batman is out Kurdt. Give it a chance. Personally, I thought that, by the trailer, The Dark Knight would at least be close to Batman Begins in quality.
  21. Jan 22, 2008 #20
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?