Horrors of asian shark fin butchery

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
True. People do tend to forget that ideas like animal welfare are actually luxuries that require money to afford.
Having animals on the menu is a luxury and requires money to afford.. and these people who harvest shark fins could slice a major artery and let the animal bleed to death within a minute, that doesn't require any money. And if they're so poor, why not use the entire animal?

Pythagorean
Gold Member
I think the point is that it's an expensive problem to fix for those of us who would care to fix it, and we have other priorities (like feeding ourselves and getting our healthcare worked out).

In other words, it's high up on Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs for a human to want to "save the whales".

For those who imbibe, animal welfare obviously isn't even a moral issue for them in the first place.

Weren't you in the Peace Corps?

In Somalia, desperation leads people to piracy.

I understand but from the photos I've seen it doesn't look like the work of a few poor people. Millions of sharks a are killed for the fin. You can't do that in a little sail boat by a malnourished peasant.

StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
If we follow your own logic strictly as stated above, then Western nations like the US and Britain would have continued to engage in the transatlantic slave trade -- and Western cultures are certainly not immune to resistance to change traditions either. So your pessimism above is both unwarranted and even a little condescending.

It's not listening to lectures from Westerners, per se, that matter. It's about being exposed to and being influenced by other, new ideas as Asian countries like China have opened themselves up to the rest of the world in terms of trade, travel, communications, etc. Within that timeframe, practices that were acceptable are being challenged on a variety of areas, including the use of animal products, whether they be shark fin soup, bird's nest soup, ivory, etc.

Of course, waiting for cultures to change is not in itself sufficient to prevent overfishing, poaching, etc. that could lead to extinctions. This is where a worldwide effort to enforce laws, work with local peoples to provide alternatives to poaching, trade sanctions, etc. can take into effect. And I feel that my optimism is not unwarranted or naive, because species have been saved/rescued from extinction in the past, and I see no reason to believe it cannot happen again.
As a follow-up to this thread, I thought I'd post these links about the activities of Chinese celebrities such as NBA player Yao Ming who are engaging in activism to provide awareness of the ecological harms of shark fin soup and the overfishing of sharks that results from this.

https://howtoconserve.org/2015/09/11/yao-ming-saving-sharks/

https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilear...l_that_in_2006_75_of_chinese_didnt_know_that/

Likes Evo and DrClaude