Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hossi to Perimeter in September!

1. Apr 17, 2006 #1

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

In a few months Sabine Hossenfelder joins Perimeter Institute, as, I guess, a postdoc (dont know the structure there)

What do you think about PI, it's intention, research and researchers (gossip welcome :biggrin:).

[this post edited with helpful suggestion of hossi]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2006 #2

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

it isnt every day that a fellow PF member gets invited to do research at perimeter,

what do PF people here think about perimeter? some may have favorable opinion some critical.

notice that perimeter has string researchers and hosts string conferences

AS WELL AS having nonstring QG researchers and conferences

also note that at the present time PHENOMENOLOGY is a key area-----that is, figure out how to TEST all different theories

my feeling is that what is good about perimeter is that it is very quick to see where the leading edge is and it moves fast into new areas-----so perimeter will probably be one of first places to get a strong group in phenom.

does anybody have gossip or opinion about PI they want to share?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2006
  4. Apr 17, 2006 #3
    congratulations:-)

5. Apr 18, 2006 #4
    Hi marcus,

I guess you are meaning well, but I am really not confortable with this thread. Can I redirect it's purpose to: what do you think about PI, it's intention, research and researchers (gossip welcome :biggrin:). Best,

B.

6. Apr 18, 2006 #5

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

I have tried to redirect thread as you suggested. by EDITING. hope it goes ok and you are comfortable. if not, we can always just forget the thread and let it settle to the bottom of the pond:smile:

but all the same, congratulations. I suppose it is the place i would most like to be, there and Marseille------but the SanFranciscoBay area is my home and so I watch from here what happens in those places

7. Apr 18, 2006 #6

f-h

Hey Hossi,

from what I've heard PI is a fantastic place. Everybody I've met from PI has been great fun, I think they have managed to nurture a great atmosphere there for an open exchange of new ideas and that attracts good people. :)

I'll be up there for a brief visit in a month and can contribute first hand experiences then, my own application for doing an associated PhD there probably wont get through though :/

Anyways, congrats and best of luck there!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?