What is the perimeter of triangle ABC?

In summary, to find the perimeter of triangle ABC, the distance formula is used to find all three sides and then they are added together. To find the perimeter of the triangle formed by joining the midpoints of the three sides, the coordinates of the midpoints can be found using the midpoint formula. The ratio of the perimeters in parts 1 and 2 can be found by dividing the perimeter of part 1 by the perimeter of part 2, or by using the notation P1:P2. This exercise combines geometry and algebra, and is from David Cohen's precalculus textbook.
mathdad
The vertices of triangle ABC are A(1, 1), B(9, 3), and
C(3, 5).

1. Find the perimeter of triangle ABC.

I must use the distance formula for points on the xy-plane to find all three sides. I then add all three sides. Correct?

2. Find the perimeter of the triangle that is formed by joining the midpoints of the three sides of triangle ABC.

I am not too sure about part 2.

3. Compute the ratio of the perimeter in part 1 to the perimeter in part 2.

I will let R = ratio.

The set up for part 3 is

R = (perimeter of part 1)/(perimeter of part 2)

Correct? I cannot do part 3 without computing part 2, which I don't know how to do.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
RTCNTC said:
The vertices of triangle ABC are A(1, 1), B(9, 3), and
C(3, 5).

1. Find the perimeter of triangle ABC.

I must use the distance formula for points on the xy-plane to find all three sides. I then add all three sides. Correct?

Correct.

RTCNTC said:
2. Find the perimeter of the triangle that is formed by joining the midpoints of the three sides of triangle ABC.

A sheet of graph paper will be handy for this exercise. Mathematically, the coordinates of a midpoint may be found with

$$x_M=\frac{x_1+x_2}{2},\quad y_M=\frac{y_1+y_2}{2}$$

RTCNTC said:
3. Compute the ratio of the perimeter in part 1 to the perimeter in part 2.

I will let R = ratio.

The set up for part 3 is

R = (perimeter of part 1)/(perimeter of part 2)

Correct?

Correct. You may also write

$$P_1:P_2$$

As a hint, the desired ratio is 2:1.

1. Use the distance formula to find the distance between all 3 sides. Add all three sides. Adding all three sides yields perimeter 1.

2. Use the midpoint formula to find the midpoint of the distance between the three given points.

3. Find the distance between the 3 midpoints found in part 2 above. Add all 3 sides. This yields perimeter 2.

4. The ratio = (perimeter 1)/(perimeter 2)

This exercise is related more to geometry mixed with algebra. Correct? I did not post in the geometry forum because the question is from David Cohen's precalculus textbook.

Last edited:

1) What is the formula for finding the perimeter of a triangle?

The formula for finding the perimeter of a triangle is to add up the lengths of all three sides. In mathematical terms, it can be written as P = a + b + c, where P represents the perimeter and a, b, and c represent the lengths of the sides.

2) How do you measure the sides of a triangle to find the perimeter?

To measure the sides of a triangle, you can use a ruler or measuring tape. Place the measuring tool along each side and record the length in the same unit of measurement (e.g. inches, centimeters). Then, add up the lengths to find the perimeter.

3) Can the perimeter of a triangle be negative?

No, the perimeter of a triangle cannot be negative. Perimeter is a physical measurement of distance and cannot have a negative value.

4) Is the perimeter of a triangle the same as its area?

No, the perimeter and area of a triangle are two different measurements. The perimeter is the distance around the outside of the triangle, while the area is the space inside the triangle. They are calculated using different formulas.

5) Do all triangles have the same perimeter if they have the same area?

No, triangles with the same area can have different perimeters. The perimeter of a triangle is determined by the lengths of its sides, while the area is determined by the lengths of its sides and the height of the triangle.