Is House a medical homophone of Sherlock Holmes?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Englishman
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
22 replies · 5K views
Englishman
Messages
44
Reaction score
0
I just started watching House, and it's the most unique show I've ever watched. It's just so good. I figured out that House is like Sherlock Holmes but in the medical sense. (He's a diagnostician) When I went on Wikipedia.org, and typed in House, I found out that it is a homophone of Holmes, and a lot of things in the show are modeled after the Sherlock Holmes series.
 
Biology news on Phys.org


Englishman said:
I just started watching House, and it's the most unique show I've ever watched. It's just so good. I figured out that House is like Sherlock Holmes but in the medical sense. (He's a diagnostician) When I went on Wikipedia.org, and typed in House, I found out that it is a homophone of Holmes, and a lot of things in the show are modeled after the Sherlock Holmes series.

Actually, Homes is a homophone of Holmes. House is a homphone of, er, ... :confused:
 


berkeman said:
Actually, Homes is a homophone of Holmes. House is a homphone of, er, ... :confused:

Okay. Hey, do you know how I would be able to become a PF Mentor?
 


Englishman said:
Okay. Hey, do you know how I would be able to become a PF Mentor?

Not by posting threads about fictional TV characters in the serious subject forums...:rolleyes: Moved to GD.
 


Moonbear said:
Not by posting threads about fictional TV characters in the serious subject forums...:rolleyes: Moved to GD.

Oh. Okay, I apologize.
 


WarPhalange said:
When I grow up I want to become a house.

What do you mean by, "I want to beceome a house?"
 


WarPhalange said:
When I grow up I want to become a house.

You have to go to medical school for that. :biggrin:
 


berkeman said:
You have to go to medical school for that. :biggrin:
Do you mean that you want to become like House, like a diagnostician, or...?
 


berkeman said:
You have to go to medical school for that. :biggrin:

The idea of a character like House having once been a med student makes me cringe.
 


Moonbear said:
Perhaps more useful. :biggrin:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=35375
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=9029
(That should be quite a blast from the past for some.)

Wow. So here's the list of the first 20 Mentors -- cool :cool:

Greg Bernhardt said:
Ok here we go

1. Greg
2. Monique
3. Phobos
4. Sting
5. Zero
6. Kerrie
7. Integral
8. Tom
9. Janus
10. ahrkron
11. Hurkyl
12. HallsofIvy
13. Ivan Seeking
14. selfAdjoint
15. enigma
16. russ_watters
17. Another God
18. hypnagogue (Advisor)
19. chroot
20. Ambitwister (Advisor)
 


G01 said:
(Time to advertise my new article!:biggrin:)

Englishman, this library article will explain the different member levels at PF:

https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=88

Very nice entry, G01. Well done. You might consider putting the past PF thread links that Evo and Moonbear and I linked to, into the Past Forum Threads section of your library entry. But it's up to you -- it stands well just as-is too.
 


berkeman said:
Very nice entry, G01. Well done. You might consider putting the past PF thread links that Evo and Moonbear and I linked to, into the Past Forum Threads section of your library entry. But it's up to you -- it stands well just as-is too.


Sounds good berkeman. I don't think I can add things to the "Recent thread list." I believe that is just a automatic process. Any new threads with the right words become listed there. I can possibly add them to the "See Also" link, though. Let me see what I can do.

Also, I noticed in one of those threads, Evo was talking about how she was never going to become a mentor! Two points:

1. Evo- Be confident! You can do it!:biggrin:

2.You told be you were always an all powerful and omniscient mentor... I'm...so... confused...My world view...collapsing...:cry:
 


berkeman said:
Very nice entry, G01. Well done. You might consider putting the past PF thread links that Evo and Moonbear and I linked to, into the Past Forum Threads section of your library entry. But it's up to you -- it stands well just as-is too.

Um, I don't see anything much in it. It looks more like a placeholder entry to me. Am I supposed to see more?
 


Moonbear said:
Um, I don't see anything much in it. It looks more like a placeholder entry to me. Am I supposed to see more?

Did you move down to the extended explanation section?:confused:
 


G01 said:
Did you move down to the extended explanation section?:confused:

Oh! No, didn't even see that there. There's a big space and I thought the entry had just ended (it was off my screen). Nice!
 


G01 said:
Sounds good berkeman. I don't think I can add things to the "Recent thread list." I believe that is just a automatic process. Any new threads with the right words become listed there. I can possibly add them to the "See Also" link, though. Let me see what I can do.

Also, I noticed in one of those threads, Evo was talking about how she was never going to become a mentor! Two points:

1. Evo- Be confident! You can do it!:biggrin:

2.You told be you were always an all powerful and omniscient mentor... I'm...so... confused...My world view...collapsing...:cry:
I was promoted about a week after that post!