Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suggestion How about a 'Like' Button for Posts?

1. Aug 16, 2011 #1
    This just clicked in my mind, and I am sharing it right off.
    In our forum lots of people are trying to help. But people aren't always good at helping. In fact they are also posting wrong suggestion, although, the wrong posts are often corrected at later posts by the same member or by other, it rarely occurs that the wrong post is edited. And if the thread is particularly long, unsuspecting reader who is lazy to read all of the thread may sometimes get totally wrong knowledge.

If there was some way to rate posts by simple polling by viewers like the familiar Facebook like, and unfamiliar Dislike, then I think it would be awesome.
    What do you think?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't really like this suggestion. This way, PF will become something like yahoo answers, where the bad answers might get liked more. And this shouldn't happen.

The good thing about PF is that incorrect answers are swiftly corrected by knowledgeable members (and blatantly false answers get deleted). So if you want the correct information, you will get it eventually. You just need to read all the answers.

4. Aug 16, 2011 #3

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Definitely. Above all this is a science forum, the best answers are the right ones. If we have a like/dislike feature (or any kind of ranking system for that matter) we run the risk of creating a popularity contest. We wouldn't want people posting with reward in mind, similarly we wouldn't want people not to post for fear of negative votes. I'd also hate to think how this system would work in a forum like P&WA!

5. Aug 16, 2011 #4

Evo

I don't know that we have enough mentor resources to actively go back and edit the original of posts that have been corrected. It's really up to the member to decide how valuable getting the right information is by skimming down the thread. I know sometimes there is so much *noise* that it can be difficult if the thread is long.

We do have a system to show which members have been acknowledged for giving consistantly accurate and helpful advice, it is the Science Advisor and Homework Helper medals. When you see someone with one of these recognitions, you can be pretty sure the information is usually accurate (anyone can make a mistake).

6. Aug 16, 2011 #5

Evo

:rofl:

(bolding mine)

7. Aug 16, 2011 #6

Ryan_m_b

***Ryan Likes Evo's Post :biggrin:***

8. Aug 16, 2011 #7
    I got it.
    Yeah, I don't want the 'Like' button now. Suggestion Withdrawn. :)
    But, still some sort of warning sign on clearly wrong posts should benefit all, especially those who are redirected by Google.
    But it must be such that the warning sign can only be given by mentors.
    I know its not much necessary, because its the reader's responsibility to read it all, but still I am saving myself some room in this thread. :)

9. Aug 16, 2011 #8

diazona

Homework Helper

This is basically the system that the Stack Exchange network uses - not actually a "like" button, but upvote and downvote buttons. It actually works pretty well, as long as the site is controlled enough to keep out the really bad questions that get posted on places like Yahoo Answers.

10. Aug 16, 2011 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

How can I dislike the entire P&WA forum?

11. Aug 16, 2011 #10

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you see a post that is clearly wrong, you should report it. The mentors do a great job, but they need as many extra eyes as they can get!

12. Aug 16, 2011 #11

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How about a feather-pluck button?

13. Aug 16, 2011 #12

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When I've made mistakes and catch it after posting (not spelling errors), I put an edit note explaining. If someone else post an answer that shows theirs is correct or is a better alternative, I do a follow up post stating my incorrectness or that my alternative is not as good.

14. Aug 16, 2011 #13

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not while I'M a Mentor :mad:

:biggrin:

15. Aug 16, 2011 #14

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:tongue2:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook