How about creating an index for the Textbook section?

• Thread starter SredniVashtar
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of having two posts in each textbook section with a listing of all the books sorted by title and by author. This would make it easier to find books and also provide a compact view. One user suggests that it would be easier for moderators to manually add the links instead of writing a script. Another user shares a thread where they are working on a list for physics textbooks. One user expresses their appreciation for the categorized list and mentions the benefit of coming across unexpected books in a library. The idea of moving the thread to the feedback section is also mentioned.
SredniVashtar
I know it's possible to sort the threads according to the subject tag, but I believe it would be nice to have, for each textbook 'section' two posts with a listing of all the books sorted by title, and by author.

Someone with knowledge could write a script that each time a new book is added by the mods, it scans all the thread titles, extract the title (the author, after 'by '), and create a list with links to each thread sorted by title (by author). Two post with a list of links: "Books ordered by title" and "Books ordered by author".

This would make it easier to find a certain book, or a book from a given author but most importantly books similar to each other. Also, all the books will appear in a nice compact view in a single post and not on multiple pages.

Am I the only one who would find that useful?

Physics news on Phys.org
This sounds like a good thing to have. But it would mean more work for the moderators. I think it will be easier for them to just add the links manually than to write a script.

This thread should perhaps be in the feedback section and not here? If you agree, you can use the report button and ask the moderators to move it. If not, nevermind.

micromass said:
What about this: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=668404

I'm working on a list for the physics textbooks

This is very nice.
I did not ask for a categorized list because that seemed to me too much work to do, but it certainly is better.
This makes it easier to find books one is not looking for :-).
Seriously, one of the best things of walking through a library is that you can find books you were not expected to look for, and that is something that cannot happen when you look for a specific title with a search engine.
As a matter of fact, some of the best books I've read are those that sit on the shelves on the way to the books I was looking for. :-]

As for the idea of moving this thread in the feedback section, I certainly would not oppose to it should the mods deem it fit, but I believe this is the right place to get the initial feedback from user of this part of the forum. I believe the feedback section could be the right place to discuss the implementation quirks, like which scripting language use to automate this task and how to write the code.

1. What is an index for a textbook section?

An index for a textbook section is a list of terms and concepts that are found in the textbook and their corresponding page numbers. It serves as a quick reference guide for readers to easily locate specific information within the textbook.

2. Why is it important to have an index in a textbook?

Having an index in a textbook helps readers navigate and find information quickly, saving them time and effort. It also makes the textbook more organized and user-friendly, making it easier for readers to study and retain information.

3. How is an index created for a textbook section?

An index is created by carefully reading and analyzing the textbook, identifying key terms and concepts, and then listing them in alphabetical order along with their corresponding page numbers. Advanced software programs can also be used to create an index automatically.

4. Can an index be added to a textbook after it has been published?

Yes, an index can be added to a textbook after it has been published. However, it may require significant time and effort to carefully review and add the necessary page numbers to the index. It is best to include an index during the initial publishing process.

5. Are there any downsides to having an index in a textbook?

Some people may argue that an index can make a textbook more expensive or take up valuable space. However, the benefits of having an index usually outweigh these potential downsides, as it greatly enhances the usability and functionality of the textbook.